Pulau Weh resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko what do you think now.What a horror this was,Just happy everyone was ok.

Also a boat packed with divers is not for me.

What am I supposed to think?
They seriously f***d up though I can't help but thinking the previous poster's way of coming in is certainly not the most efficient in terms of web communication. The usual troll wouldn't do otherway.

Something I also know is that I don't see any relationship with :

I inspect the tanks, and all of them where out of service, then when you dive there, you get air intoxication.
Someone has to explain to me how from looking outside a tank you guess that you will be intoxicated.
For everybody's information a visual tank inspection needs to remove all valves from the tank, plus a torch light and a dentist mirror, a tourist cannot be allowed to check the tanks in such a way, but only then you would be able to assess whether there is internal corrosion or liquid that might intoxicate the air. That's why the explanation from the poster sounded to me like bull.
Otherwise, it's the external air compressor environment that maybe a problem for bad air quality (for instance the air filter could be damped with petrol or too close from fumes.).

That said, are there any members who have recently been to LumbaLumba in the past months that can also witness any good or bad experience?
It's always a pity when a dive centre that has been recommended in the past by many people is showing such alarming signs.

Sorry but I started to learn englisg 6 months ago
Then you're either the most intelligent man on the planet or a joker! :)

The best you can do if you have some doubts is go and see yourself.
I will. :D

That said, are there any members who have recently been to LumbaLumba in the past months that can also witness any good or bad experience?
I was at Lumba Lumba last month. Here are my notes.

- We used their equipment, and after a couple of changes, our rental equipment was OK. They are very haphazard in their organization of the equipment. The dive shop was incredibly busy all the time.

- Briefings were just a few words. I would say that the dive guides were mostly "cowboys" in that they liked to go deep, fast and swim against current. :depressed: Many of the divers on our boats went into deco time (incl. guides). We did not, only because I insisted on going higher as my deco number got close to 0.

- Almost every dive guide and staff member was smoking, both in the shop and on the boats going out and coming back.

- I was charged the correct price for our dives and room, no overcharging. Rooms were nice, although there was no service (make bed, sweep floor, empty garbage) during our entire visit. I forgot to ask them if there is usually any main service.

- The owners were vacationing in Europe when we were there.

- There are a lot of dogs on the beach. None of them are fixed. There is a lot of sex happening outside the dive shop and along the beach, all day and evening, and it is not in the rooms. :D

- The dive sites were, in general, good. The shore dives we did were good too.

- My air did not taste like smoke.

- Expect to be feasted on mosquito-types (biting flies). My dive buddy still has bite marks on her feet, and it has been 4 weeks since we were there.

- Food in restaurants along the beach is hit or miss. Some good, some not. If there are more than a few people eating in the restaurant, expect to wait a long time (up to an hour) for your meal, even something as simple as chicken soup.

- Obviously, we were there before the fire on the boat described here ... Link: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...rious-safety-concerns-dangerous-incident.html

Finally, we did one dive with Rupiah on Iboih Beach (before we went to Lumba Lumba). 16 divers on a small, very slow boat, absolutely no dive briefing, no check of C-cards, and no organization (dive left an hour late). We declined a second dive with them.

By the way, I am NOT a complainer. I've written lots of good things about many dive operations.

Last edited:
"Albion" had posted a very interesting report on his experience with Lumba Lumba on Accidents and Incidents section.
Wow!!!!

That story is just crazy!! Straight from a horror movie!

I remember diving the little tug boat in the harbour with 4 divers and its supa mucky with lots of fine silt, so even with trying to keep buoyancy in check and keep the kicking to a minimum we still stirred up the silt a bit. As we surfaced Lumba's boat pulled up to the dive site with divers overflowing from the boat! It seemed like at least 20 people on board. 20 divers on that tiny wreck...... they would have kicked up such a dust cloud!!! Viz from 7m to 0m in 5 seconds flat!! Poor buggers!! I must say I do remember looking across at the Lumba boat and did not see many smiles!

I was just glad we got there first!

P Weh has amazing diving!! It really does!!! It is just such a pity that the operators seem to have such a strange attitude towards "professionalism".

Hi!. After 20 years diving as professional I only could say Lumba Lumba in Palau Weh, is the worse and the most dangerous place I've ever seen. In last 2 months, 6 people where to hospital. When I been there, the second day I felt strong headache. I inspect the tanks, and all of them where out of service, then when you dive there, you get air intoxication. The equipment for rent is completely out of service. A disaster. Go diving Palau Whe, but not in Lumba-Lumba
Your experiences seem consistent as another members in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...s-safety-concerns-dangerous-incident.html#top

Luispirata;
thank you for sharing your experience with Lumba Lumba

Regarding cyclinders, I assumed you meant that the cylinders were overdue for either a visual inspection or hydraulic test. So I don;t know why some posters are jumping down your throat about this.
Given how frequently cylinders at dive centres are used and abused, knocked about, breathed down to zero, etc, it is extremely important that they are routinely tested.

Nic

5- and oh yes... air intoxication merely come from the tanks themselves but rather from the air compressor and its surroundings.
Might want to read my thread on this resort, as what you are saying supports my version.

Hi!. After 20 years diving as professional I only could say Lumba Lumba in Palau Weh, is the worse and the most dangerous place I've ever seen. In last 2 months, 6 people where to hospital. When I been there, the second day I felt strong headache. I inspect the tanks, and all of them where out of service, then when you dive there, you get air intoxication. The equipment for rent is completely out of service. A disaster. Go diving Palau Whe, but not in Lumba-Lumba

I was there 24th April to 1st May, were you there for the boat fire?

I cant comment on the tanks, I didn’t check them, wish I had now. What did make me smile was a set of twin tanks is saw sat in the shop. Having tech qualifications I had tyhough about doing the sophie richmers dive which is 50m ish. Unti liheard its done on single tanks blash blah blah. Anyway the twins had a very nice set of Highland Mills bands, however the tanks were back to front with the valves facing backwards 
Shakes head

I worked at Lumba Lumba on three seperate occasions totallng over 12 months. During this time I never heard of any problems with bad air, not did anyone have to go to hosptal !!! I can only speak very highly of the owners, Ton and Marjan, and of the operation they run.... I had an awesome time diving and staying there, and would recommend them to anyone....

I cannot comment on the incidents as I was not present.

I can only say that we had a great time diving there and are returning in November. We had no issues with safety and we do know what we are looking for.

We are very excited to go back and will post a trip report once we return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom