Puget Sound Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Describing Redondo Beach as a "local mudhole" seems a little over the top and might give people the wrong idea.

This is what happens when a slang term gets used with groups not familiar with it. "Local mudhole" is a phrase that has been used recently on ScubaBoard to describe a site local divers like to frequent. To those familiar with the term, it just means "a place nearby I like to dive." Those who are not familiar with that use will be understandably confused and think it describes actual poor conditions.

Well, that is actually what it says. I've referred to dreadful lakes used for training as mudholes or mudpits for many years, because that is what they are. I have no patience with the current trend for deliberately misusing words - it started with "gay" and went on to "sick" and other such misuses.

So someone died and we are debating the usage of words like "mudhole"?...... I am not sure this is the appropriate time for a hijack.

Describing Redondo Beach as a "local mudhole" seems a little over the top and might give people the wrong idea. When the tide was changing and we were there the viz did get down to maybe 15 feet until you went "over the edge" and it starts to get a little deeper where the viz seemed pretty good even during tide going out. When we think of a "local mudhole" around here the viz is more like a foot or two. I guess the site may be lots different than I realize but I can't imagine it being too bad.

Edit: This is right next to a Salty's right?

Vis will depend on conditions and time of year. I've dived there on days when you'd hit the bottom before you'd see it. Other days I've looked up from 60 feet and seen the surface. It all depends.

"Local mudhole" simply means it's my playground. YMMV - choose whatever term you wish for the place where you normally dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 10th, 2013 at 06:55 PM ----------

Well, that is actually what it says. I've referred to dreadful lakes used for training as mudholes or mudpits for many years, because that is what they are. I have no patience with the current trend for deliberately misusing words - it started with "gay" and went on to "sick" and other such misuses.

... can we please remember what forum we're in, and show a little respect for the fact that someone died there yesterday? If you guys want to get off on a grammar hijack, please take it to the Whine & Cheeze forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've dove Redondo many, many times, luckily never got hit with the river. It is a very calm place for the most part. As said before, our local site is down right now, but none the less my thoughts and prayers go out to the divers, family and everyone involved.

The first time I was caught in the River, my buddy and I got completely disoriented, and ended up surfacing on the wrong side of the fishing pier, after a half hour or so of fighting against it. The second time was far worse; we had a team of three really experienced and competent folks, and we ended up using our hands as blades into the silty bottom and pulling our way upslope until we could surface, where we found rough water and strong surface current, and Peter and I ended up bailing and going around the other side of Salty's to get out.

This site is a training site. It has a lot of "features" which are basically garbage, ranging from streetlight reflectors to small boats, to a porch swing and an old Volkswagen. We call such sites "mudholes" because they aren't particularly pretty, they aren't colorful, and they're silty. Nonetheless, this particular site can be a fabulous place to find a wide variety of marine animals, especially at night. It's a fun place to dive, and under most conditions quite benign. However, certain tides and certain weather conditions can render it quite challenging, and if you don't know that, you can get an unpleasant surprise. The first time I got caught in it, I wasn't happy at all.

I am having some difficulty understanding the "Redundo River". I have some experience in currents but am not clear on the size/location/features of this apparently well recognized danger (by some divers). I was surprised to find no useful information or warning about this danger on the site addressing this scuba resource: The Perfect Dive : Redondo - Des Moines, WA - USA: Pacific Northwest. Is that part of the problem that results in divers being unprepared for this hazard?

You're kidding right...:rofl3:

Jim...

awap, it's not a perfectly predictable phenomenon, and I don't think any of us knows exactly what causes it. We know it's associated with large ebb tides, but it doesn't always happen on those tides. I don't know how many dives I have at Redondo, but I'd put it upwards of 50 or so (maybe more), and I've been in the River three times, and once it was pretty mild, just kind of blowing sea lettuce around. Once it was enough to disorient us, and once it was strong enough to be scary. That's over a seven year period.

I don't think the site descriptions mention it because it's relatively rare, and the site is a very benign one 99% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom