Puget Sound area dive shop reviews ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I'm a "Northerner" and wanted to give kudos to some shops in the San Juans and in Bellingham. I'm going to mention some brands they carry, hoping that it will help traveling divers to find a repair person for their reg. etc. on a trip.

I second Grateful Diver's high opinion of Anacortes Diving and Supply. I've taken a refresher class (after a 20 yr. absence from Scuba), Drysuit Class and Nav. Classes with Bob and Kelley.
They are both infinitely patient and encouraging teachers. Their shop is the most organized and professional looking of the shops in a 40 mile radius. There's a cool "Mom and Pop" feel about the shop itself and the relationship that Bob and Kelley have with their customers. One doesn't find that, much, anymore.
Their shop is indeed a friendly "gathering" place for local divers and I've done several club dives as well with a great bunch of people. They carry Atomic
and Oceanic and Mares among other brands. They're a rec. shop and so far anyway, not interested in carrying tech gear. They do nitrox fills.
Bob is a knowledgable videographer and Kelley has some great still shots on display and for sale. They carry Diving Concepts Drysuits and Bare.
Their prices are list but their service, experience and friendliness are top notch.
They of course encourage you to buy the brands they carry and qualify what they perceive to be the advantages of that gear, but, they don't push you away from looking at other brands or discourage you if you've already decided that you have choosen another brand, like some shops do. I do feel loyalty to them and buy most of my gear through them as I like them as people and I'm relying on them for my basic skills training.

Whidbey Dive Center in Oak Harbor: Pat has a completely different vibe in his shop but one I also like.
While Anacortes is formal and organized and businesslike, Pat is "folksy" and informal and very very helpful, giving in both time and effort to teach you about gear and try stuff on, etc. I like to spread the dough around so I will be buying from him also so that I don't waste his time with the above.

His was the shop I seriously considered a Dive Rite Rec Wing rig with and now that I've ultimately decided on something he didn't carry, I will tell him that I will make it up to him soon with some other purchases of gear. I guess the vibe there is kinda "surf bum/dive bum" which is fun somethimes and refreshing if you're not into "formal" shops. It's easy to hang and rap with Pat and his Tech instructor Adam and Dwayne who will go diving with you if you only ask. They're a Scuba Pro and DUI drysuit shop. They're the nearest air fill and shop to Keystone Jetty. There's a bit of a masculine vibe there, partly due to the proximity to the Naval Air Station as a big customer base.

Adventures down under: A Bellingham Shop on Holley St. Ron Akeson is the owner.
He's a rebreather dealer and U.S. Divers/Aqualung dealers. Also Atomic, Force Fins, DUI, Diving Concepts,etc. Ron is probably the more technical(ly) oriented owner/shop out of the three.
He also has a very easy going/folksy demeanor and has spent a fair amount of time with me explaining b.p./wing rigs knowing that I wasn't going to be purchasing the brand (Apek) he carries. I will also make future purchases with him for that reason so that I haven't wasted his time and also because he carries some items the other shops don't (Turtle Fins for example.) It's a tiny little shop and pretty crammed but very welcoming. There has often been a college aged salesperson there but he has been very knowledgable and helpful and will call Ron if a customer wants to know something and Ron's not in the shop-for an answer.

I will probably be relying on his shop for tech info. and possibly training down the road.

Web pages/newletters: Anacortes wins hands down. A very together web page and newsletter. Their organized trips to tropical locations and others are very well run by all accounts and they're updated and listed along with club dives, etc. often.

Whidbey Dive Center's web page is several years old now and IMO doesn't help Pat's "mission" at all. I'm don't understand why he doesn't find a new web person???

Adventures Down Under's web page is ok. Lists some of the products they carry but their club newsletter seems to be only sent out through flyer mailings. Ron writes for Northwest Diver, usually concerning rebreathers, lately.

I think in this day and age, a top notch web page is one of the most valuable marketing tools and social lifelines available and it's interesting how many smaller shops don't seem to take advantage of its' full potential.

The remaining shop in Bellingham, WA Divers has a relatively new owner and that shop had the most "empty" and rundown look of the shops. They are also principally a Scuba Pro dealer and carry White's Drysuits. They have an in house charter boat as well. I've only been in once to be fair but it just didn't "feel right" to me. Just personal opinion. I'll give them another try one day...

Hope that's helpful.

Jim

Two Corrections: Just got back from Adventures Down Under in Bellingham (the day after I posted). It turns out that Ron does indeed send newsletters out via emails. He just didn't have mine! I also wanted to add that Anacortes Diving and Supply does sell Turtle Fins on special order as they are also an XS Scuba dealer.

surlytart:
We've rented gear from Bellevue UWS and, as memory serves, it has been of lower quality than either Kirkland or Seattle - missing wet suit zippers, problems with BCs, etc. They may be great in other ways, but I wouldn't recommend their rentals. As well, they had less stock so it was easy to end up with a wet suit that was a size too big and then have serious weighting issues.

Just to let you know, Bellevue UWS just got all new rental BCDs and Tanks. I'm not sure about suits.

Being a member of the largest un-affiliated dive club in the Pacific Northwest (moss bay divers) we deal with all the local shops, They all have their good points and their bad points.

We suggest finding the shop that you like the best and support them. Often it will be the closest shop to your house or at least one that isn't too out of the way.

Our dive club gets great deals at most all the diveshops in the northwest as well as dive charter discounts, Instruction discounts etc.

check out our club at www.mossbaydiveclub.org

NWGratefulDiver:
ISLAND DIVE AND SPORTS

I won't do business with them again ... in fact, I just turned down an invitation to join next year's trip because there is no choice but to do business with them. They are the embodiment of the adage ... "when you're the only show in town, you don't have to be good".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, I just re-read this posting. Now that I know Bob a little better, I can't imagine how bad a shop would have to be to make him feel like this. I've definitely had an experience that set a new standard for poor/unsafe practices by a dive operator (Sulawesi Dive Quest, Lembeh Strait). It's strange to hear a tale of such an unpleasant operator around here because folks are generally pretty happy, helpful people in the Puget Sound region, probably due to the fact that this isn't a tourist trap. I've come across a shop owner or employee once in a while that was less than friendly, but I always try to give the person the benefit of the doubt, considering that they might just be having a bad day (and we're all prone to that). But Bob's case sounds like the shop in question just didn't care about doing business the right way and respecting their customer's experience, gear and wallet.

Just my 2 BAR.

The other side of the coin...
Evolution2:
As a partner in Island Dive and a new member to Scuba Board, I regret Bob that you had an unfortunate experience almost 3 years ago with us. I wasn't in the shop when your disk blew, but I heard about it and saw your tank being inspected internally and a new disk to be placed in your valve. As for the double charges, I have looked into this as it is mentioned over and over in your replies any time a mentiion of Island Dive is made. I will be happy to speak with you and correct your charges accordingly I was just made aware of this situation from reading history on this site. There is no excuse for bad manners, and I apologize for our staff's lack of professionalism during your visit. It must be pointed out however, you arrived in the shop on the first weekend we purchased the shop from Ron Kenny and had very little information on how things worked. It was also Memorial Weekend and there were several other charter boats in for fills, along with yours. There was no EANx fill station then. All were PP filled. That is no longer the case. We've learned and grown from those first months. Most new businesses do. Again, no excuses, it just is a fact that is overlooked in postings. In the past 3 years, we've learned from the mistakes and tried to correct them in our business, and in our staff. As Cameron can tell you, we have learned much about running a dive shop and charter boat. As for EANx fills, they are $10. This month, they are $5 with a charter. Our original pricing, 3 years ago, was based on the previous owners prices for which we had no reference to base on. That has dramatically changed. You continually state that "If there were another dive shop on the island, they'd be out of business ... ". That's a very spiteful comment and without merit. FYI, there have been 2 attempts from private parties to start dive shops in the islands. We loaned equipment, time, tanks and phones to them. No one has lasted. It's not important to have notice for helping, just wanted you to know that we aren't the ogre monopoly in the islands.

I would like to invite you back, just for the benefit of doubt, and see if you can forgive a bad day of business. I've had bad air and expensive fills and short fills from shops before, gear not fixed properly, special ordered items "overlooked" and such. Any diver in this sport long enough will have a similar experience with a dive shop. Some shops on several occasions. We are going to make mistakes. Every human I know does. Our business is striving to be the best we can and our customers, like Cameron, can attest we're doing okay. Everyone is entitled to a mistake as long as something good comes of it.

Again, I apologize for your experience. That I could undo it, I would. I just ask that you give us the opportunity to have you as our guest and see if you don't find our new facilities and services much improved from your last and most memorable visit.

Sincerely,
Dawn

TASea:
The other side of the coin...
There are always (at least) two sides to every story ... however ...

Evolution2:
As a partner in Island Dive and a new member to Scuba Board, I regret Bob that you had an unfortunate experience almost 3 years ago with us.
The incident I am discussing occurred one year ago today ... June 04, 2005 ... not three years ago. As it is my one and only experience with Island Dive, I do not know what incident occurred three years ago.

Evolution2:
I will be happy to speak with you and correct your charges accordingly I was just made aware of this situation from reading history on this site.
For the record, I did send two e-mails via the Web site. I will do so again very shortly. Furthermore, the money isn't the issue. I spend upwards of $20,000 per year on my scuba habit, and a $15 mask strap isn't even in the noise level. It's the principle of the thing that got me upset.

Evolution2:
There is no excuse for bad manners, and I apologize for our staff's lack of professionalism during your visit.
Thank you ... and publicly accepted.

Evolution2:
It must be pointed out however, you arrived in the shop on the first weekend we purchased the shop from Ron Kenny and had very little information on how things worked. It was also Memorial Weekend and there were several other charter boats in for fills, along with yours. There was no EANx fill station then. All were PP filled. That is no longer the case. We've learned and grown from those first months. Most new businesses do. Again, no excuses, it just is a fact that is overlooked in postings. In the past 3 years, we've learned from the mistakes and tried to correct them in our business, and in our staff. As Cameron can tell you, we have learned much about running a dive shop and charter boat.
Again ... I think you are confusing me with someone else. I walked into Island Dive for the very first time upon arrival at Friday Harbor on June 03, 2005.

Evolution2:
As for EANx fills, they are $10. This month, they are $5 with a charter. Our original pricing, 3 years ago, was based on the previous owners prices for which we had no reference to base on. That has dramatically changed.
Last year, when I inquired about getting my LP95's and E8-119's filled with EAN32, I was told they would be $19 per tank. That's what everyone on our boat was told, and why they all ... including three instructors who dive EANx almost exclusively ... chose to dive air.

Evolution2:
I would like to invite you back, just for the benefit of doubt, and see if you can forgive a bad day of business. I've had bad air and expensive fills and short fills from shops before, gear not fixed properly, special ordered items "overlooked" and such. Any diver in this sport long enough will have a similar experience with a dive shop. Some shops on several occasions. We are going to make mistakes. Every human I know does. Our business is striving to be the best we can and our customers, like Cameron, can attest we're doing okay. Everyone is entitled to a mistake as long as something good comes of it.

Again, I apologize for your experience. That I could undo it, I would. I just ask that you give us the opportunity to have you as our guest and see if you don't find our new facilities and services much improved from your last and most memorable visit.

Sincerely,
Dawn
Thank you ... I am willing to resolve this.

All I ever wanted was a response from your shop. Now that I have one, we have a basis for resolution.

I will be sending an e-mail as soon as I log off of ScubaBoard and access your Web site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Last year, when I inquired about getting my LP95's and E8-119's filled with EAN32, I was told they would be $19 per tank. That's what everyone on our boat was told, and why they all ... including three instructors who dive EANx almost exclusively ... chose to dive air.

I was on the same trip/boat. I'm so much of a nitrox junkie that I almost paid the $19/fill, but it was a little bit too steep, even for me.

I had "3500 psi" marked on my tanks and they came back with 3200 psi in them (cold) which is about what I normally expect. I know that a lot of other people had HP tanks which were underfilled to LP pressures, and Bob had his LP tank overfilled and the burst disk went. It sounded like there was a very inexperienced fill operator working that day.

The main LDS I use is Lighthouse in seattle. I have only had good experiences with them. Their instructors, divemasters, technicians, and employees are all very knowledgable. The prices they list are average but I got my bc/reg at an annual sale they have for a huge discount.

It's nice to see the issue addressed by the (owner?) of the dive shop in question. Seems like some of the details are still not in agreement but the main point is that they apologized and I hope they become a better dive operation as a result of this. It's never a pretty thing to be called out publicly regarding bad practices, but sometimes it's the only option available to divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom