Puget Sound area dive shop reviews ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
This shop loyalty thing is a good question, probably deserving of its own thread.
Good idea! I'll go start one now in the Basic Scuba Discussions area. :)

Jimmie

I'm a new diver, with experience at two local shops:

Bubbles Below: I took my O/W class through BB. One of the instructors was excellent, and I would look forward to taking classes from him again. The other instructor, while proficient, was not really all that great - needed some coaching in adult learning still, I think. The DMs and assistant's were all great. I plan to take additional classes through BB, with specific instructors in mind.

The shop itself is well stocked. The staff members I've dealt with have been friendly and appear competent, some more than others.

I think the shop owner, Bud, has customer relations issues. These are serious enough that although I'll continue to buy things from the shop, it's unlikely that I'll go to BB for big ticket items.

* On several occasions he badmouthed other shops to me (Underwater Sports) particularly focusing on how his is the only shop with decent equipment service.

* Made extremely negative remarks about Zeagle customer service and quality when I mentioned looking into buying a Ranger (I found these to be unfounded, based on Zeagle's noted customer service and quality, as researched on this board). BB only carries the "best" brands I was told.

* He continually castigated his staff in front of me for mismarking items (I bought a Beta Titanium knife from him. When we went to ring it up, he stated that the knife was mismarked at $95 and should be $130. He then gave me a "discount" and charged me $115 or so. The knife is about $90 online.)

* I've repeatedly heard him give customers a hard time (me, as well as three other occasions) for paying for a course from him at his "discount" price, without buying mask, fins, snorkel from him at MSRP. If he wants to set a store policy and provide a discount for equipment purchase, or whatever, that's fine. But you shouldn't be chewing out your customers because they took the deal offered by your staff. And you shouldn't be chewing out your staff in front of the customers.

Underwater Sports - Bellevue: I've had great experiences at UWS-Bellevue so far. While taking our O/W class, my wife decided to get new fins. UWS was nearby (easy to drive to during lunch break) so we met there and they treated her like a princess. Gave her a 10% discount even though we made them aware we were taking lessons elsewhere.

After deciding to NOT buy my full equipment setup at BB, UWS gave me a great package price on BCD, Regs, Octo, computer, weights, and some accessories. After they tallied up the package I was asked, would you like to take an AOW class sometime soon? I replied, "Yes" - They threw that in, with the books, for free. Oh, and I got a free tank of air to test the gear out at their pool. We had originally calculated a package that included a drysuit when I was shopping around. When I went to buy the package, I told them I'd already ordered my drysuit. No problems, no hassle. They just dropped that out of the package and kept the same discounts.

I bought a pair of LP95s from the Hot Deals section of SB. When they arrived I took them to UWS for setup and a fill. They inspected and stickered them, then charged me a pittance. No hasslement about buying the tanks online. Told me I got a great deal.

To me, UWS has been tops in customer service. I'll still spread my money around a bit, but if I buy any big ticket items, UWS Bellevue will have the first opportunity to sell it to me. If they don't have it, I'll go to divetank or scubatoys. BB will be a much lower priority alternative, based primarily on the owner's attitude.

I'll bet many of you are asking yourself that as you have been reading through these threads. I find that what draws me to a Dive Shop is the need for air, what brings be me back to a shop consistently are the individuals in the shop and how I am treated while I am there. Unfortunately doing what I do I see both sides of the business, which isn't always good. But, I'll admit I have my favorite shops and favorite individuals that work them, and I sorry to say its been sad to see some of them depart. It would be great to see everyone post their good and bad experiences with a shop, but please remember its usually the bad ones that always seem to "be recalled". In the past two years we have seen a lot of churn in the industry that have led to numerous shops closing, with a few new ones opening. Our goal with this board is to educate and encourage diving, so please share with us your experiences.

TSandM:
I've shopped at three shops, but I will only review the one with which I have the most experience.

Bubbles Below is our "local" shop. It is three minutes from our house. We got certified through them, and I think they try very hard to do the best job they can in teaching OW students. They keep a very low student/instructor-divemaster ratio. They have a lot of hours in the pool.

The shop is attractive and welcoming, and the staff is friendly. The level of expertise varies. They carry quality equipment at commensurate prices. We have had superb customer service and support -- ANYTHING that has failed to measure up to expected performance has been replaced or serviced at no charge.

It is a shop for recreational diving. They do not carry many of the things that technical or DIR divers would want (eg. bolt snaps, bungee cord, or hard weights). They will order anything you want, but you may wait for it, and sometimes it's more efficient to go elsewhere.

The shop has created a great nucleus of enthusiastic divers. They have an e-group, have frequent fun dives, and organize at least twice yearly major trips. They were recognized by DEMA this year as one of the top 15 dive shops in the country. There is a reason why.

Like all retail shops, they exist to sell product. But they give (in our experience) good advice, don't necessarily steer you to the most expensive items they sell, and stand behind what they sell, sometimes much further than one would expect.

TSand M’s review was indicative of my experiences as well. No need to repeat it (again) :wink: for me, as she did an excellent job. The only part I would disagree with is the Tec supplies found there. I have yet to see any stores that actually stock more tec supplies than Bubbles (although I get the feeling that 5th D might). They may not have bungees or hard weights in stock, but they do have various brass and stainless sliding gate clips. They also stock several types of w/bp bcd’s set up for doubles, banded doubles, several canister lights (OMS, green-force), various size/brands of wreck reels, multi-gas computers, several different size pony and/or Argon bottles, P-valves, Various D-rings, etc. I even saw an inspiration re-breather in the sales area a couple weeks ago; although I think it has been purchased since then.

According to a National Scuba Pro Rep I talked to a few months ago (as well as a few other people) Bubbles also has one of the best equipment technicians in the country working in house. Whether or not he is truly one of the best in the country I obviously wouldn't know, but Roy does have an excellent reputation locally. His assistant Justin is pretty good too, and is a teckie himself.

Anyway, there’s my 2 cnts (again). :D

Yes, Roy is absolutely fabulous, as well as a really nice person, and very willing to teach as well.

Justin told me they didn't have any stainless steel bolt snaps. Otherwise, I wouldn't be driving to Issaquah to get them :)

TSandM:
Yes, Roy is absolutely fabulous, as well as a really nice person, and very willing to teach as well.

Justin told me they didn't have any stainless steel bolt snaps. Otherwise, I wouldn't be driving to Issaquah to get them :)

It’s possible they ran out, or maybe Justin didn’t see them, but I’m pretty sure I saw some in the left side of the wreck reel display case (top shelf) the week before Xmas while I was purchasing some double ended brass clips. I know they had a delay in a shipment of clips a month or two ago, and had run out for a little while, but I think they have re-stocked. Who knows...... I could be mistaken (it certainly wouldn’t be the first time). :wink:

TSandM:

For what it's worth you can also get them at any Lowe's hardware store.

gcbryan:

A lot of the ones you find at the hardware stores are not solid brass or stainless, but are a plated metal (chrome, etc). These tend to corrode and deteriorate faster which can cause them to bind up easier.

However, along those lines, some marine/boat stores sometimes carry solid brass and stainless clips.

McLendon's hardware carries them, but only in fairly small sizes.

gcbryan:

Becareful, the stainless steel snaps at Lowes and other hardware stores, do not have stainless steel internal parts (springs etc.) and they rust quickly. 5th D and NW sports divers are the only two shops I have seen with quality bolt snaps. There may be other shops, but I haven't found them yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom