Puerto Galero Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetoids,
My gf and I will be spending a week in Puerto Galero this Dec-Jan. We will be diving with Action Divers (checked them out after receiving a recommendation from the PDP on SB and have a good feeling about them). As I was checking out their website, a couple of concerns cropped up, so now I have a couple of questions for those who have some experience at PG (or experience in stress reduction techniques).
1) The website trumpets sharks, sharks, sharks. Are there really so many encounters at PG sites? I love to see them, but my gf is a bit wary (she saw a little 1m white tip resting on the bottom in the caverns of The Grotto, in Saipan, and didn't dig it. Last month I got her to hover and check out another there and she was kind of getting into it, but is still pretty leary. I wonder how she'll react if a hammerhead comes swimming by).
2) Most of the sites seem pretty deep (for her). I notice that even a lot of the "Novice" sites list max depths of 25-30m (and beyond). Is most of the diving so deep in PG? Is EAN recommended? Is the visability usually pretty good in winter (makes her more comfortable).

I'm just asking so I can let her know what to expect on the trip and avoid any stressful suprises for her (and by extension for me). We aren't going to do any diving that makes her uneasy or that she feels she isn't ready for, but at the same time I wouldn't be upset if she can hang in there in conditions that, now, seem at the edge of her comfort level (ie: more exciting for me!).

i've logged 15 dives at pg but haven't seen a single shark. haven't done shark point though.

depth...most dive start out at around 10m. imho the good stuff (if you're a photographer , 'coz pg is more of macro) is between 10m-20m and very seldom did i get close to 30m. a lot of easy dive sites. all my dives are on air. haven't done nitrox on any. around that time vis should be around the 10-15m range.

we dove with action divers last july and they're a pretty good op. i'd dive with them again no problem.

hth

jon :wink:

Sharks can be seen at shark cave regularly. If you want to see sharks in PG then you have to make a night drift dive into canyons. Wow! The real treat is to dive Sinandigan to see the electric clam. Good luck!!

Don't stress about it, the sharks have been on vacation for a while now. You might see a couple of whitetips if you're lucky at Shark Cave.

The only shark I've seen in PG was at Shark Cave and that was only 2 sharks. If you start seeing a lot of sharks freely swimming in PG, let me know and I'll be there in a heartbeat :)

there's a variety of dive spots in PG not all of them shark-infested. Like Jonix, I've never seen a shark in my dive history there. I stick with easy, relaxed dives. You can request that too from the DM so your girlfriend won't be too stressed.

Only sharks I've seen are a couple sleeping whitetips hiding in shark cave. The other divers got angry when I tried to pull them out by the tail... :joke:

Once in a blue moon you hear of a thresher or hammerhead siting, but rarely...

A lot of dives in PG could be considered advance (deep, strong currents). But I think a good shop like Action could tailor the dives for your girlfriend (sabang bay/ wreck, monkey beach, etc).

I've seen 3 white tip sharks in Shark Caves, Puerto Galera. Out of 8 PG dives this year, I was able to see sharks only once.

The probabilities of seeing one is greater in Mainit Point in Anilao on a weekday morning. I once went there on a early morning weekday and was able to see 3 black tip sharks on a single dive...

Got certified by action divers in PG so there's no need to worry about the dive sites. If us beginners can hack it then it shouldn't be a problem for you. And like the rest, I only saw several white tips in the shark caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom