Puerto Galera vs Anilao diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Philip2711!
I actually had thought alot about spending the whole vacation in the Visayas. From what I've read, I think that two weeks diving in the Visayas would be a great trip, easily spent between 2 maybe 3 spots. The only reason I'm not doing 2 weeks in the Visayas on this trip is because I really want to spend a week diving in S. Leyte (Sogod Bay). I liked what I read about Sogod Bay from other scubaboarders' reports -- there's the possibility of diving with whale sharks (no guarantees but March is supposed to be a good month for that); and the reefs are pristine and very healthy; there's good fish life; and it's an out of the way spot so not alot of dive "traffic". Getting to Sogod Bay requires a flight from Manila (or ferry from Cebu). I read that the domestic flights were more reliable, and probably a better option than the ferry if you need to catch an international flight the next day like I do.

I am still probably leaning toward Anilao for the first week, just because it's a land transfer for us from the Manila airport (our international flights are in/out of Manila) so more diving time, and it's supposed to have good macro, and nice reefs. I have a flight in the middle of the trip to Sogod Bay, but since that flight leaves in the afternoon from Manila, I can still do some dives in Anilao the morning before.

I was starting to waffle about the first week, well, because of that travel agent I mentioned earlier. If I go to Dumaguette instead of Aniloa on this trip, it would mean I'd lose that morning of diving because of flight schedules. I can't really get a good sense yet whether Anilao's macro diving and reefs are on par with Dumaguette, or if Dumaguette is hands down better. So for now, I'm sticking with Aniloa. I just wish I had more vacation time...

hmm....I put up a post in one of the Sogod Bay reports....

Larry, Zee, my brother, and I did Sogod Bay then transferred over to Cabilao, Bohol via outrigger from Leyte. We went to Cabilao exclusively for the great muck diving but we were lucky to see the school of great barracudas and I saw 2 napolean wrasses.

warning though - the outrigger is not for the faint hearted...and if it's your first time in the Philippines, I dunno if I would do recommend it to a husband + wife team... but I'm still going to pull up the thread for you since it makes for an interesting read. :)

And if you really are bent on going to Sogod and try skip a flight to another destination, this is the only option I know of.

Well...I just checked and it looks like I can get an international flight into Manila and a return out of Cebu. So, I was just thinking about flipping my itinerary and doing the first week in Sogod Bay (flying from Manila), then taking the ferry over to Cebu, and staying somewhere for the last 6 days, then flying home from Cebu. If I did this, would you recommend Bohol or Cabilao or Dumaguette? We love macro and beautiful reefs, not that crazy about wall dives (for us wall diving is OK for a couple of days, but wouldn't want to do wall dives the whole week). I got the impression that Bohol and Cabilao was mostly wall diving, but something tells my I'm way off on that. I appreciate your advice!

I can not make a direct comparison as I am not a keen macro photographic diver, but Anilao is quite well known among Japanese divers for its macro diving. Visaya is great especially for seeing bigger fish. Drift diving in Apo Island (near Duma) is great. if you are interested in macro stuff, Anilao is safe bet because I think guides know the customer need and there are more macro oriented divers there.
In Visayas, majority of the divers are inclined to go to see bigger fishes.

Ben, Thank you for your input. My husband and I just got back from Lembeh and really liked the muck diving there - first time doing that for us and I think that we got hooked. That's why I mentioned in earlier posts that we love muck diving, but the truth is I'm not a photographer, and we like also like seeing the big stuff, drift diving, diving over beautiful reefs... and a little wall diving. Are we missing out if we don't dive the Visayas area? What place would be a good balance with the other week in Sogod?

Well...I just checked and it looks like I can get an international flight into Manila and a return out of Cebu. So, I was just thinking about flipping my itinerary and doing the first week in Sogod Bay (flying from Manila), then taking the ferry over to Cebu, and staying somewhere for the last 6 days, then flying home from Cebu. If I did this, would you recommend Bohol or Cabilao or Dumaguette? We love macro and beautiful reefs, not that crazy about wall dives (for us wall diving is OK for a couple of days, but wouldn't want to do wall dives the whole week). I got the impression that Bohol and Cabilao was mostly wall diving, but something tells my I'm way off on that. I appreciate your advice!
Bah, I missed this option, sorry. From Sogod, take the ferry over to Cebu (an actual decent ferry - not a small outrigger). From Cebu, take a hire van down to Dumaguete. The whole trip will be long though - expect ~6-8 hours travel. (~1.5 hr from Sogod to Bato, ~2hr ferry ride, ~3-4hr van ride)

If you're going to Duma, try hook up with Atlantis Resort and they can probably arrange to pick you up from the ferry pier. Atlantis Resort is the choice around here. Other resort options are El Dorado and Bahura Resort. I'm probably missing some other choices, but a search can help you out.

If you're willing to spend some time travelling, I'd go for that option. The fact that it's broken down into 3 legs will make it go by faster. Plus, the scenery is beautiful. Judging by your last post, Duma will give you enough muck diving coupled with big stuff, drift diving (Apo Island). Cabilao and Bohol have a lot of wall diving. Keep in mind though that for 6 hours, you could also be spending that time flying back to Manila and heading to PG and suiting up to dive (which also suits your criteria). Both PG and Duma will balance Sogod nicely.

Will you miss out on diving if you don't dive The Visayas? no. Subic, Coron, Apo Reef, Davao, Gen San, Anilao, Verde Island, and PG are all great diving locales. But you will miss out on being in the Visayas - the people, the lifestyle. And yeah, the Visayas is also great place to dive.

Bah, I missed this option, sorry. From Sogod, take the ferry over to Cebu (an actual decent ferry - not a small outrigger). From Cebu, take a hire van down to Dumaguete. The whole trip will be long though - expect ~6-8 hours travel. (~1.5 hr from Sogod to Bato, ~2hr ferry ride, ~3-4hr van ride)

this is a long way to reach dumaguete- and may not be a very nice option if you want to save as much time as possible (from traveling). upon docking to Cebu from Sogod- grab a seat in any of the fast craft that operates the Cebu-Dumaguete route. This would cut down your traveling hours significantly.

Chip- i don't think Sogod ferry docks in Bato- it docks right in Cebu pier. You must be thinking of Cabilao?

this is a long way to reach dumaguete- and may not be a very nice option if you want to save as much time as possible (from traveling). upon docking to Cebu from Sogod- grab a seat in any of the fast craft that operates the Cebu-Dumaguete route. This would cut down your traveling hours significantly.

Chip- i don't think Sogod ferry docks in Bato- it docks right in Cebu pier. You must be thinking of Cabilao?
ah yes, that's another option to go. totally forgot about that one. I'm going off an old thread where a couple posted that they did the van trip from cebu to duma and back again. IIRC they said it took about 4 hrs. How long is the ferry - about 3 hours? edit: They'd also have to time the cebu - duma ferry accordingly...the leyte - cebu ferry only goes in the morning and evening. I'm not sure what time it arrives but Enrique took it so he'd know.

The Bato I'm talking about is in Leyte. It's about ~1.5 Sogod -> Bato or if the ferry isn't available there, Hilongos. From there you arrive into Cebu pier. There's no direct ferry from Sogod to Cebu.

ah yes, that's another option to go. totally forgot about that one. I'm going off an old thread where a couple posted that they did the van trip from cebu to duma and back again. IIRC they said it took about 4 hrs. How long is the ferry - about 3 hours?

The Bato I'm talking about is in Leyte. It's about ~1.5 Sogod -> Bato or if the ferry isn't available there, Hilongos. From there you arrive into Cebu pier. There's no direct ferry from Sogod to Cebu.

thanks. i was thinking of Hilongos-Cebu. and the fastcraft from Cebu to Dumaguete is about 2-2.5 hours. it is actually supposed to be shorter but the trip usually drops by Bohol first before moving onwards to Dumaguete.

Back
Top Bottom