PST (Pressed Steel)HP120s VS New PST E7-120 & E8-119

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a question about PST models but found the answer.

http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST E Series Tanks.htm

On this note...

I was thinking about trading up from my aluminum 80's to steel 100's to balance out my 6'4" 210 lb frames air consumption with that of my better half on alumin 80's (consistantly 750 psi more than me when I call the dive)

The ratings on my catalina S-80:

S-80 31.6 lbs dryweight -1.8 Full +2.6 at 500 and +4.0 empty

vs

E7-100 32 lbs dryweight -8.8 Full and No idea at 500 but maybe -3 or so and -1.3 empty

Right now I wear a total of 18 pounds of lead in my drysuit. Any less and I have to swim head down to keep at 15 feet with less that 600 or 700 psi in the tank. With 18 I am fine (lowest I've gone is 250 psi) so I'm happy with my weight right now.

I guess my question would be what effect will this change have on my weighting. I am having trouble wrapping my head around this one.

Opinions, clarifications, rants all welcome.

-d33ps1x

I believe I'm entering the scuba world at the right time :D Just got OW and AOW certified. I'm looking to get dual tanks. My brother dives dual HP 100's. He's been trying to get me to buy these from his LDS (good deal I suppose). When I mentioned HP to my LDS and instructor they all looked at me funny. They went on to say why not buy LP's and overfill them. This was a new concept to me, and didn't realize you could do this. Obviously, this raises a concern if you travel with your tanks, and the fill station refuses to overfill your tanks (though I suppose this is standard practive for most). Then I heard about the E-Series tanks coming from PST. Sounds like the ticket to me. LP tanks rated at a higher PSI.

During my check out dives I dove with a single LP95. I guess I would like to double up these 95's, and I should be okay (I would like to have as much gas as possible being new and all). When I look at the following chart:

http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST E Series Tanks.htm

it looks like the best fit for me is the E8-130. It seems to be about 3/4 of inch taller than the old 95's, and 1.6 lbs lighter. I may also go with the E8-118 to shave off some weight instead. These E-Series are awesome. Now I need to make a purchase!

What do you guys think of this deal:

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/tanks/index.shtml ?

I tried reading up on all the manifold discussions (this vs that) on this board. Any thoughts about the manifold/bands setup?

I have two manifolds that at one time I was going to use for my HP120's and 100's. My plans have changed (which has nothing to do with the new E series availability). They were ourchased from OMS.

of the HP100s, doing just a "screw around and check weighting" dive in the bay the other day, is that I REALLY like them doubled.

I'll let you know more tomorrow evening once I get to really soak 'em good - we were going to go today, but got blown out by weather.

Or is anyone else wondering WHY some one who just did OW and AOW is thinking about doubles!!!

That's like having twice as much rope to hang one's self..

Or could I just be having a blonde moment,

Darlene

Or twice as much air just in case of an emergency (whether a free flow, or buddy sharing). Or twice as much air to stay down longer (I have no doubt my air consumption is horrible). Or twice as much air to perform a decent safety/deco stop. No sense in going on a wreck dive, and staying down for only 10 to 15 minutes only because I'm running out of air! This would not be fun at all. What's the use of diving if you can't at least stay down?

Scuba_Vixen, what's your problem with a newbie diving doubles? More weight? Sure. More bulk? I see it as a positive. You can set up an issolator manifold, and set your rig up to have redundancy (ie. primary reg on one stem, secondary on the other. a low pressure connection for your BC on each stem just in case one stem fails).

Scuba_Vixen, you not going to like my next staement :D Not only am I going to go right to doubles, I'm also going to dive Nitrox :wacko: And a dry suit to boot.

Wreck diving first, cave diving to come.

oharag

but if you can't manipulate valves, you have brought only more gas, and not redundancy.

Doubles require practice to have redundancy. Get some, and don't consider what you've got "redundant" until you have it.

A blown LP hose can dump a tank with frightening speed. As in 30 seconds.

And each new task you add is another error you can make..The's almost no argument that excellent bouyancy skills and some significant experience best prepares one for doubles and additional tasking.

The biggest problem, as I see it is you'll have all that gas, and be tempted to stay down and use it, and you'll have a significant deco obligation and no clue as to deco procedures...or how to have managed the gas supply to be sure you have enough to complete the deco......and suppose you have a computer failure..are you proficient with tables....did you cut them before the dive.....

You're venturing into an area that requires a level of training you obviously don't yet comprehend.......

God be with you,

Darlene

The nitrox thing is no big deal...a few hours of study and you can grasp those concepts..that's not a real time task loading issue.

No Scuba Vixen , I thought that gentleman was maybe pushing things just a little :)

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom