PST (Pressed Steel)HP120s VS New PST E7-120 & E8-119

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudDog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a pair of single PST (Pressed Steel) HP 120s I am considering using as doubles. Does anyone think there would be any advantage to trading them in for the new PST E7-120s or E8-119s...and if so which ones?

I got them new last Fall, dove them once and then for logistic reasons (Military) have been separated from them. I know the new E-series has the more common 3/4-14 neck thread as opposed to the HPs 7/8-16 neck which might (?) be preferable for doubles. Also, the new NRX valve for dual outlet capability sounds kind of interesting.

I am about 6'3", 215-220#, dive dry 85% of the time...mostly open water/wrecks. I am starting to get into more technical diving.

I really appreciate the help, thanks!

Semper Fi,
MudDog

If it is going to cost money to trade in your tanks for new models, I wouldn't do it. If you could do it for free or really really inexpensively (say not much more than the hydro costs to get your tanks up to par for shop fills), I might for increased manifold selection.

IMHO, double the HP 120s and save your money for other goodies. Double 120s work great for me.:eek:ut:

Gary what manifold are you using, is it an old one?

I can't find a good one for my old PST 100s

MudDog once bubbled...
I have a pair of single PST (Pressed Steel) HP 120s ... Does anyone think there would be any advantage to trading them in for the new PST E7-120s or E8-119s...

E series (unlike HP) have 3/4 neck thread, which gives you more manifold choices.

VERY little difference, other than if you want to double them and choose manifolds....

Dive Rite Makes a manifold with 5/8" threads, that is what you will need to double the HP 120's.

I wouldn't trade them for the E7, The difference in the E7 and the HP 120's you have is the E7's have 3/4" threads and have been recertified to a lower pressure, they are basically the same tanks you have now.

I have a pair of HP 120's that I double up, they are fine doubled up, I am 6' 3" also and longer tanks balance better for me.

I prefer the OMS 121's because they can be over pressurized and I don't need a weight belt when I dive a single LP.

I would save the money and buy a manifold with an isolator.

:wacko: Why would you change to E8's at 119 cu ft when for pennies more you can go to E8's at 130 cu ft. and 140's in a month or so.

Don't use weight as excuse, as the new tanks are lighter than the old LP 120's, you weren't dancing around in those either.

If you are gonna upgrade, get some serious gas capacity!!!!

Hey guy, they are his tanks, let him decide what he wants...

For taller people, the E-7 120's work great. The diameter is smaller than the E8-130's and they are lighter.

Everyone has to make their own minds up over what tanks they want to dive with...

FOr people who are looking for a manifold to double up the old HP-120's, your options are becoming very limited, and soon, no one will be making a manifold to use with the OLD HP-120's (7/8 thread).

Personally, for doubles, I would go with the E-8 130's. But thats just me. SOme people dont want to lug that much weight, and prefer a lighter set of doubles i.e. E7-120's...

Gas capacity is very close, and most people will never use all that gas in their doubles...

are what I'm going to double.

More than enough for me to have the redundancy for one mandatory-deco dive, and if nothing goes wrong, I can do a second non-deco dive on the same gas.

Within nitrox-diveable limits this is a very workable combination. It perhaps won't work as well for Trimix diving if you have a truly extreme exposure, but for those of us diving in the 130'ish range on custom Nitrox mixes, and who are using deco as a means to get more time (rather than to go deep and get a reasonable time on Trimix) its a definite reasonable option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom