Proton Ice - humming sound on exhale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sauruman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a Proton Ice with the matching octo and haven't had them in the water yet. Exhaling through the reg (and to a lesser extent the octo) results in a loud humming sound. I've never heard a reg make this sound before - should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to correct this?

thx!
S.

Must be the built-in ice heater at work.............nice.

PS. Just realized it's your first post, welcome to the board. Some dewd diving in sub-zero temps will answer your question.........

Sub zero here,
It is the vibrating of the diaphragm because it is dry. As I am sure you know, Scuba regulators are intended for use under water and whenever they are breathed dry, usually on the inhale, the diaphragm vibrates a little.
Come back if you have the same problem in the water.

Thx guys - I do indeed know that they are meant to be used under water. ;-)

I've just never heard a reg make a honk/hum like that before on land. funny that the one is much worse than the other, so I don't see it as a design side-effect.

Mine did the same thing, it did go away when it got wet. Do you notice a "pop" when you take your first breath? It only happens on the first breath. Otherwise im sure you will love it when you get to use it!!!

sauruman:
Hi all,

I just picked up a Proton Ice with the matching octo and haven't had them in the water yet. Exhaling through the reg (and to a lesser extent the octo) results in a loud humming sound. I've never heard a reg make this sound before - should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to correct this?

thx!
S.

A bigger concern is if you can draw any air thru them if you try and inhale, when they are dry and not hooked up to an air supply. If you can draw air then there could be a tear in the diaphragm. As rescuediver started, a diaphragm will vibrate out of the water. You didn't post anything else about where you got the reg. Is it used? Is it new? Online or LDS purchased? A difference between primary second stage and octo is likely due to them not being the same second stage model as a lot of set-ups use a cheaper piece for the octo.

Thx all - I have tried to inhale on the regs without them hooked to a tank. I get no noticable air leaking in(good!). The octo is exactly the same second stage on the primary. It just hums less. I think the sound is the exhaust valve vibrating. If i put a finger on it lightly, the humming stops. Also, if I exhale forcefully, it doesn't hum.

Nothing to be concerned about I guess?

PS - this was bought new at my LDS. I haven't taken it back to them for a check out.

PS - I did hook the regs up to a tank here as soon as I got home. I don't recall them popping on the first breath. Qualitatively, they seem to breathe okay.

My Abyss did the same thing till I breath it under water. In fact, the first two breaths it made a squeaking type noise under water. Nothing even remotely like this since.

If you try to breath it out of water, the diaphram will rattle and make noise.

Xanthro

Back
Top Bottom