Protecting dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingmob3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
Last summer I was diving the MSB in Lake Michigan, and in the process of getting my buddy free (tank valve(yoke) was jammed on a swim through) a cluster of zebra mussels ate my dry gloves.I know that replacements can be had for $3-$6 ( as opposed to $50 at the LDS) however I was wondering if any one had tried wearing a large pair of mechanics/trim work gloves gloves over their smurf gloves to keep them protected? The only issues that come to mind are actually fitting everything in, as it would be liners, dry gloves and then work gloves over them...

Allen

I've never tried it so I don't know first hand (no pun intended), but I would be a little concerned about the possible loss in dexterity with the additional layer of gloves

When welding we wear chemical cloves over our dry gloves. They are heavy PVC over a pretty tough nylon liner. Or look into arimid knit gloves that you could pull over your smurfs. The nylon knit oganre sticky's might also work and they are cheaper and very streachy.

I might pick up a pair of the endurotech for working on the boat, the rubber covered knit gloves over the smurfs is not a bad idea. The other thing that has poped into my head is to get the orange light weight gloves, since they will be inside a work glove anyway.
Thanks,
Allen

2 things that i know work from my instructor telling me as she is a cave diver is she uses either the yellow scrub gloves for washing dishes or she uses the gardning gloves that are thin cloth that have a rubber coating on the palms no loss of dexterity when worn over the smurff gloves she used the yellow ones as her dry gloves as they were cheep when they wear out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom