Proposed Ban on Spearfishing in Southeast Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SB News Feed

News You Can Use
Reaction score
SB News Feed submitted a new blog post

Proposed Ban on Spearfishing in Southeast Florida

DEMA is concerned that this ban is being proposed WITHOUT scientific data that indicate such a ban is warranted. Further, DEMA is concerned that these proposed restrictions are aimed solely at DIVING
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

I did read the proposal and it does have some good points however I find it odd that Spearfishing on Scuba is specifically targeted due to its selective nature (and it appears spearfishing while Freediving is okay although they are typically more successful with larger fish and catches due to the stealthy nature of breath hold diving)…..there's no by catch like with commercial fishing. I don't know the ratio of divers Spearfishing to Recreational line fishing but I'm sure its more than 1 to 50!

I think banning spearfishing would be great there as I have an apartment in WPB! I won't enter the water if there are weapons around. Enjoy life - stop killing!

It pays to actually read the proposal, and not react to sensational headlines.
I did... I don't like this:

N-59 Ban the practice of spearfishing on SCUBA to enable sustainable use of our Florida reefs.

That's the problem - N-59 banning scuba spearfishing conflicts with S-67 which encourages eradication of invasive species, and should probably be amended to exclude invasive species. Far too few think of the consequences of their rules, laws, etc., these days.

The comment period for these proposals was a month and a half ago. The topic was posted on SB previously, prior to that time. The open meetings have already been held. This post seems a bit late, huh?

Well, you didn't have to post then :)

On a more serious note, their proposal does exclude lionfish if you look at the documents posted at:

Fishing, Diving, Boating & Other Uses/Restoration Draft RMAs | OUR FLORIDA REEFS

It also mentions several locations in the Caribbean where spearfishing on scuba has also been banned. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this proposal, and you can still comment here:

Public Comment Form Demo | OUR FLORIDA REEFS

Lion-fish are a bane to humanity and scourge on this earth - they all need to die. That said if scuba spearfishing is banned - you can always move to underwater scuba/rebreather bow fishing. It's a real thing and it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom