proper exposure suit for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wear boardshorts down there, sometimes a 1mm shirt. It's like bathwater to me. I brought a 3mm suit on my first trip and never used it and have never used the suitcase space for it since. I see lots of folks in various thickness suits and all the way up to hoods. I'm a cold water wussy, but Coz is borderline hot me.

Here's my issue with warm locations.... With minimal exposure suits on longer dives, I tend to get a little chilled, even in warmer waters. The problem though is that with a full 3/2 mil suit, I find that I get uncomfortably warm on the surface, often to the point of getting a little seasick. My solution is a 5 mil, front zip shorty. I can keep it unzipped on the surface. An unzipped shorty along with my exposed arms and legs helps me from being overheated. Just before hitting the water I zip it up; the 5 mils on my core tend to keep my comfortable enough.

Glad to find someone else who feels this way. I always wear my 5/4, anywhere I dive. I love the support the thicker material gives, especially to my lower back and legs, and as you point out, temperature relief is only a pull on the neck seal away.

These days there are fewer and fewer places we bring our 3/2 suits. We still use our 3/2s for our Bonaire shore diving trips, because we can control the dives, and our dives tend to be a relatively short 45-50 minutes. If it's drizzly and windy, we just head indoors. In Coz, where our dives can be 60-70 minutes on 100 cf tanks, and surface intervals can leave us more or less exposed for an hour--potentially in drizzly weather--it's 5/4 all the way for me.

I just wear boardshorts down there, sometimes a 1mm shirt. It's like bathwater to me. I brought a 3mm suit on my first trip and never used it and have never used the suitcase space for it since. I see lots of folks in various thickness suits and all the way up to hoods. I'm a cold water wussy, but Coz is borderline hot me.

Been there on a rainy week in the winter?

That would also be a great time to have a good boat coat, either supplied by your operator, or your own. Makes all the difference in the world for staying warm

You're right. The first time I experienced a cold SI like that, there were no boat coats, and that's when I decided 3 mm of neoprene is not enough. Now I use a 5 mm AND an operator that offers boat coats.

Been there on a rainy week in the winter?
I have and fortunately the dive op had little rain jacket thingymabobs for us to wear. I was down there last month when it rained a lot. It's not ideal, but getting in/out of wetsuits is a giant pain IMO for 80 degree water. I wasn't knocking anybody either, do what you do, I don't care, just offering another perspective to the OP who might also consider 80 degree water pretty warm.

Personally, I dive a 3mm in the summer and 5mm in the winter in Coz. Plus a beanie to keep my hair down and warmth is an added bonus. And I have been on one of those boat rides/surface intervals where rain was whipping and wind was howling...dive op gave us blankets, and one of the DMs was shaking uncontrollably from the cold. That was one time I wish I had a boat coat.

Personally, I dive a 3mm in the summer and 5mm in the winter in Coz. Plus a beanie to keep my hair down and warmth is an added bonus. And I have been on one of those boat rides/surface intervals where rain was whipping and wind was howling...dive op gave us blankets, and one of the DMs was shaking uncontrollably from the cold. That was one time I wish I had a boat coat.
Everyone has their own personal cold tolerances. I always take my 3 mil jumpsuit just in case, but never use it - just my 1 mil jumpsuit and maybe a light beanie.

For a cold boat ride, I carry an exposure blanket - one of those that will fit in your pocket until you unfold it, but then will keep you warm and dry. You can get them on ebay for a dollar so it you use it once, great deal. Otherwise, easy to carry in your bag just in case.

For a cold boat ride, I carry an exposure blanket - one of those that will fit in your pocket until you unfold it, but then will keep you warm and dry. You can get them on ebay for a dollar so it you use it once, great deal. Otherwise, easy to carry in your bag just in case.

Good idea! Will look into that. Boat coat's just way too bulky in luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom