proper exposure suit for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Coz, and my wife and I were both content with our 5 mm full suits. Oh, we could have gotten away with less neoprene, as there were only a couple of moments when we were glad we had erred on the side of more rather than less--some clouds/drizzle on one day, and another time at the end of a lazy 80 minute dive. When I'm just drifting along for much of the dive and hardly working my muscles at all--not atypical for Coz drift dives--I do feel the effect of gradually losing body heat. That said, on a dive when we find ourselves fighting a current for a few minutes, I may feel warm and let a little water into the neck. In any event, my thinking is err on the side of too much rather than too little. I HATE feeling chilly. I'll continue to bring the 5 mm on Coz trips in the shoulder season.

Thanks for staying on top of my topic and original post. I have enjoyed reading everybody's exposure suit choices. I am 5 months away from the trip yet but have purchased a 1.5 mil full to pack along with my 2 mil shorty and Lavacore top.I am hoping that will do as my 3 mil is such a bear to don and doff.I do have a 5 mil. Bare Reactive for some of my colder diving but that thing really puts out the heat.Something to be said about the materials in that suit.I think it is almost to warm in 68 degree water.

7mm. Even then I got cold towards the end of the dive, 90 minutes is a long time underwater. Damm 120's.... And dives being that long also present an opportunity to ahem..warm up the suit. Problem being the seals are quite good so a dance is required to flush the suit so one doesn't stink up the boat.:wink:

Just out of curiosity for those of you that wear 5 and 7 mil suits, how much weight do you have to use? I'm using 10 just in boardshorts. Maybe my 5 mil is super buoyant, but I'm thinking I'd need a small Volkswagen to get me down if I wore it.

Just out of curiosity for those of you that wear 5 and 7 mil suits, how much weight do you have to use? I'm using 10 just in boardshorts. Maybe my 5 mil is super buoyant, but I'm thinking I'd need a small Volkswagen to get me down if I wore it.

I was thinking the same thing.I wear 22 pounds of lead in my 7 mil plus hood,boots and gloves, that's with my steel 100.I want to dive tropical to get away from that hassle. Back in the day when I dove in Bonaire and Saint Croix in a shorty,I think I wore 8 pounds of lead.Love the freedom.

Last edited:

With the steel 120s that Aldora offers, I carry ZERO lead when wearing a 5 mm full suit. Ah, the freedom!

With the steel 120's... hmm 8-10lbs? or maybe 6. It isn't much at all. I know my 12 yr old son was zero lead. Tank was almost as big as him.

Back
Top Bottom