Proper disposal of SCUBA tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 72 or 78 (not sure) is a really old aluminum, not a steel. I'm not really sure what it is, I've not seen another tank like it. I did see a hydro date of 1972 on it so I know it is a really old aluminum tank. I also know the LDS's around here apparently won't fill old aluminums so they are worthless as tanks to me even if they passed hydro/vis. I think I might find a reason to swing by Debraw's shop out in Arlington sometime next month. If she can get some sort of use out of them that would be great, even if it is as a bell.

Scrap metal yard or aluminum recycle center.
You will get about 30 bucks for the both of them.

why not make a lamp out of it? Would be great for a lake house or beach house...

scuba-tank-lamp_small.jpg

TxHockeyGuy:
I, or rather my father, has an old al80 that is the 6351 aluminum. He also has another tank I belive he called an al72 or al78 that is a 2475 psi tank. Since it is even older than the 6351 al80 I assume it to be bad as well. I want to know what is the proper way to dispose of these tanks?

Either tank may still be perfectly fine. The 80 will require a Vis+ to look for cracks. A lot of shops won't touch them. You could always take it into a metal recycling place. If the other one is steel, don't toss it. I'll take it. Seriously.

Also, DON'T toss the valves! If nothing else, toss them on ebay. You could always get at least a couple bucks out of them.

If I was in Texas, I would come pick them up from you. I would love to get another steel 72. The Al tanks may be Ok as well. Just takes a Viz Plus to find out. Then you could get them hydro'd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom