Proper BC fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might be a stupid question, but have you tried taking off the waist strap and cumberbun when underwater and redoing/tightening it up?

You should not be getting tank tilt unless you didn't cinch up. Or if your BC is improperly designed with rigid side panels and just a single waist strap with no velcro cumberbun.
Sometimes when gearing up in a sitting position, your back is actually a good 2-5inches away from the back of your BC. So when you hit the water, you not only have ride up you also have tank tilt.

With the cumberbun snug, you should only have the ride up issue. If you have space between the snug setting of your waist strap and yourself then you're screwed.
That was the case with my pictured above Sherwood Axis. There's a reason why most stock BC's have a velcro cumberbun AND a Waist strap.

The waist strap is tight out of the water. The issue is the BC riding up on me while diving. I cannot tighten the waist any more in the water since I'm maxed out on it. Guess I'll have to get with the dive shop and see what my options are. The crotch strap is an idea but I'm not sure if that's a cure.

Lots of adjustment on your BCD. Play with them. Your BCD should not be floppy in the water. Part of what is happening is due to wet suit compression at depth ( assuming you are wearing at least a 3 mil shorty. Otherwise, you may have air in it when putting it on, and if you drain the air it will be and feel looser. If you cannot adjust your current bcd for size, then look at other models. They vary a lot as to adjustment and length and girth. YOu'll get the right fit one way or another.
Dennis Jacobson

Thanks for the replys. I added some Velcro on a strap that involved the waist area of the BCD. Was able to get it smaller and it worked great this weekend. I'm am however looking into a BP/W setup.

Haha. Not when your over 6' tall and under 200#. BPW is next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom