Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockout Diver

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I would like to make a little trip at the end of this month to Cayman... anyone know of any promotions on places to stay? We prefer shore diving for the most part so a good house reef would be nice.

If you want a resort with shore diving, thats going to limit you to Sunset House, Reef Divers, and Divetech. There's a lot of variables with pricing, the biggest being the time of year you come.

Send an email to info@divetech.com and our reservations staff can put something together for you.

Good morning. I sent you an email last night. Hopefully I'll hear back soon :).

I suggest planning for at least some boat diving. While you can do shore dives at the places mentioned and a few other sites, you will pretty much miss the walls Cayman is famous for. It's not a place like Bonaire where you mostly see the same stuff whether you shore or boat dive. Also this time of year especially, shore diving can be iffy - particularly at Reef Divers (Cobalt Coast) it can be blown out a lot in the winter such that you can't shore dive there. I've been there in April with waves crashing over the dock the whole week. Divetech at Lighthouse Point is to the west of Cobalt Coast, around the corner of the island a little, so a little more sheltered and I expect they get blown out less but I think it can still be an issue. I think Sunset House rarely gets blown out, though I've been there when it happened. Tradeoff is, IMO Sunset House isn't nearly as nice as the other 2, and while the shore diving is more reliable I don't think it's as nice.

You can get to the wall on shore dives from Cobalt Coast or Lighthouse Point, but it's a long swim, or better yet scooter.

Last edited:
Cheapcaribbean.com has a great deal for 4 nights with air to Grand Cayman. It was little more than the airfare alone, but I was looking for October. Not sure it applies for now. I would give them a call. The promo was for $250 or $300 off airfare and one night free at a few different hotels by 7 Mile beach. Around $650 for me from Syracuse.

Alas the end of this month starts to get into Spring Break season a bit. There may not be as much availability for real deals as bethie saw for October which is off season.

And nitpick...
Divetech at Compass Point is to the west of Cobalt Coast
should be Divetech at Lighthouse Point.

Compass Point is on the far East End of the island where Ocean Frontiers is located. Not a lot of goo shore diving right at the resort.

And nitpick...

should be Divetech at Lighthouse Point.

Compass Point is on the far East End of the island where Ocean Frontiers is located. Not a lot of goo shore diving right at the resort.
yeah I know, but my fingers always insist on switching them. Fixed.

fwiw there's NO shore diving off any Seven Mile Beach resort. Almost all the operators will pick you up there for boat dives though.

The others covered the 3 west side options but there's two other possibilities. I'd mention that LIghthouse Point is a small condo complex and I believe there's a restaurant there now. I've also been told that when Cobalt Coast is blown out - Lighthouse Point is often still diveable since it's around the point.

Also you're likely not going to get much from Divetech about Cobalt Coast Resort - they left when Reef Divers took over last year. Grand Cayman All Inclusive Resort | Cobalt Coast

A couple of the condo complexes in West Bay also have direct access to the water (via a ladder) Coconut Bay Condos has Stingray Watersports onsite (I think they also own there) and you can swim out to Bonnie's Arch/Pipeline. Next door (not really walking distance - better than 1000') is Turtle Reef - arguably the best shore dive there. Sundivers is in the basement of the Cracked Conch restaurant and the Macabuca Tiki Bar is next to it.

I thought CB was all 3BR units though but this looks to be a 2br at the same location. (judging by the pool picture) They have a ladder there and you can swim out to Hepp's Arch or Hepp's PIpeline from there. Island vibes, ocean views, diving & beaches...... - HomeAway Northwest Point

Nearby Bonnie's Arch (dive site) condos are the other option. Here's one: First Floor Oceanfront Condo in Top Location!... - HomeAway Northwest Point i don't know if this is the same one or a different unit. Bonnie's Arch Condo's | Facebook

There's a Foster's Market a few minutes away for food. Not a lot of other dining options in the area though besides those named. You'll definitely need a car in that area - cabs are pricey.

All my suggestions are probably 3-day minimum stays however. That may limit you to Sunset House or Cobalt Coast depending on yours.

Last edited:
Staying at Coconut Bay Condos in June for a long weekend. Picked the condos based upon location, price and shore diving onsite, revive- and next to Turtle Reef and Sundivers. May do a boat dive but with these two sites plus Lighthouse/Divetech right down the street we should have plenty of options for 3 full days of diving plus the afternoon on our arrival day.

and to answer your question more directly JetBlue is running specials booking flight/hotel together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom