Project Log: DIY Canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I've found several places with CNC machines about an hour from town so thats probably the route i will take.

I'm meeting with a machine shop Saturday to cut the housing and light head. I'll report back what they charge.

Thank that's the one thing i'm figuring is gonna cost me the most other than the battery pack / charger.

Thank that's the one thing i'm figuring is gonna cost me the most other than the battery pack / charger.
I have several places around me, I'll get a price on a finished lighthead for ya by next Sunday more than likely.

Post up some pics when you get it done, I'd like to see it.

Marchand how are you rigging up all those LED units into a head? I was figuring up the dimensions for 5 LED's into a milled lighthead and the best i could figure with a 3/8 wall and a 3-2 stack unit the head would be around 3in x 5 in. Thats really big to be toting around. I'm looking to find another opiton using only one or two LED units outputing about 500 or more lumens

I'm going to do a 4-3 stack. The light head will be about 4.5"X2.5" and that gives 1/4" of wall thickness. It really isn't all that big when you compare it to a 35W HID.

The machine shop I talked to wanted a shot at milling their own reflectors out of aluminum, any downside to that?

As long as they get the correct curvature, a smooth finish, and a reflective surface I don't see any problems with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom