Project Log: DIY Canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can buy the leds from deal extreme,check out candlepower forums,lots of good advice and parts sources.

Ok, you guys gave me the bug to build a new canister dive light.

From what I have researched, LED has come of age and is the way to go. Ditto on checking out candlepower forum. Pretty awesome stuff. The other big advantage is the batter can be much smaller.

I am leaning toward using a single LED light head so it will be small and compact. I'm mostly lobstering under ledges and I just need to see them, not blind them!

I ordered this drop in module which was one of the brightest I could find.

DealExtreme: $12.40 Cree R2 Drop-In 1-Mode LED Module (3.7V~18V / 26.5mm x 29mm)

From what my research has found, it will need to have some sort of regulator. I'm still looking into that but I'd like at least 1000ma going to the LED for max light.

I'm also still going to have to design a light head.

How is everyone else's project coming along?

Dave

My 3 x 5 should be finished Saturday, that is if the kids leave me alone.....:rofl3:

I am going to build a focusable P7 next week just because I want to try a new design.

Try this puck driver I think you will love it. 03021-D-I-1000

Interesting looking driver. I was looking at this one, but your's looks more user friendly.

Tasklight

I can't wait to hear how yours turns out. Sounds like it's going to be a light canon! What LED did you use?

I can't wait to hear how yours turns out. Sounds like it's going to be a light canon! What LED did you use?

Your driver is 1 inch, the one I gave you a link to is 3/4 inch so if size is an issue that may help.

I am using Cree Q5's in the 3x5 as described ealier. Not my design or idea. Sure is a bright sucker.

The next unit will be a single P7. The intire light head, not counting the adjustable reflector, will be 1 inch in diameter and 2 inchs long. The reflector is 1 1/4 in diameter and 1 1/2 inch long with a 3/4 inch travel. I don't have a clue how well it will work yet but it is an itch that has to be scratched. :rofl3:

I saw that P7. That will be interesting to see how that turns out. Some of the comments on DX seemed to indicate it might not work for continuous operation. Of course us divers do have the advantage of being submerged in one giant heat sink.

PM sent.

Dave

Yes, the common statement over there is heat is the killer. That is why I am I am going to try the design I have. If it works, anybody with a hand drill and a pair of vice grips should be able to make it.

So far the lens cost me $0.75, the body cost me $0.89, the P7 cost me $29.00, the driver cost me $17.99, The reflector cost me $3.99, the gland cost me $4.98, three o-rings were $.25.

Grand total with tax I have spent $64.48 for the light head. If it puts out anywhere near 700 lum and holds up in the chamber, It will be well worth the time spent. I am planning on making and mounting 4 on each of my AGA masks.

I promise I will post it and photos when I get done. If it works out that is..... :rofl3:

That would be the perfect design if it is bright enough and doesn't burn out. My whole goal was to make a super bright but small light head. Can't wait to see the pics.

So far the lens cost me $0.75, the body cost me $0.89, the P7 cost me $29.00, the driver cost me $17.99,

What are you driving the P7 with? i cant find a driver for 2.7A anywhere near that price. Im having to rig 3 in paralell to get around 2.4A. any links?

Cheers

I finally got my p-7 maglight put together and working,the first attempt did not work,had to resolder some joints.The second attempt was a success,now I need to to get the proper nm hydride batterys to get it up to full power.this light I am building for a everyday light,2 d cell with 3 c cell batterys in it to get the proper voltage to the led,my dive version light will be a cut down c cell ran direct drive off 3 f cell nmh batteries,about 13 amps,it should get a long burn time.I plan on putting a driver for different modes in it later when I can find a good one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom