Professional Dive Boat - EPIC FAIL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As it turns out, I got a message today that the company has issued a refund to my credit card. Mistakes and poor judgement happen; how they are dealt with is what matters to me. I'm glad I didn't name names because now I know that the company has integrity and no reputations were damaged.
Bravo! Stay on point 'til their nerves crack and they flush. Played like a pro!

On my first trip to 'Molokini', I got to dive Coral Gardens. The Maui shanghai...

This entire thread was such a waste of time. Whether good or bad...a review of a dive company is useless without names. I'm pretty sure they issued the refund because they saw the thread. So, maybe it wasn't useless to the OP.

Good brah...venting...we all need to do it, but alot of visitors become the subject matter expert after "1" visit. sorry to point out but you snapped in another thread about your displeasure. I have been out here a long time, and there are some "idiot boats out there"... one guy thought it was ok to degrade his Japanese clients. he cool thing was a Coast guardsman was onboard when the bilge pump started and oil came out. when asked, he got hot with the sailor. guess who was waiting dockside to finish the conversation. so personally and professionally, I'd say your thread is both right and wrong, bland and white, and not black and white. several of us hope you do get the chance to come back, and see the other islands, and don't think that hawaii is a cesspool for drop outs that want to get payed to go diving, unless your shaka doug...who just wants to go diving....just kidding..he's awsome, and maui would be terrible with out him...
Stanky1..stay classy..and dive san diego it means whales....something

---------- Post Merged at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:09 PM ----------

oh yea...how is this thread still going?!?!?!?! it's a slam not a WOW YOU NEED TO DIVE -)

one day many years from now when I am in my rocking chair I will give this thread some thought and it will all come to me..."it s a slam?" ....maybe not.

I understand your pain... I am a boat Captain for Maui Dive Shop and we cater to those "not quite advanced" divers... It can be tough to be an advanced diver, diving with others not quite up to par. 2 problems with this: 1. YOU CAN NEVER NOT TIP!!! That is rude... that's worse than not tipping at a restaurant... and is unacceptable in the diving community. there are other, less emotional, ways to complain. Don't take it out on the employees. 2. A lot of divers lie... Every day we have people come up to us at check in and tell us they have over 1,000 dives! (People don't realize how many dives that REALLY is) To achieve 1,000 dives, you ALMOST have to be professional at some level. The next question "How much weight do you need" is always the kicker... MR. 1,000 dives no longer looks like such a great diver now that he doesn't know, after 1,000 dives, how much weight he needs. Anyway, point is, people lie and that's not the companys fault either. Use tripadvisor and other ranking sites to figure out how these companies really are. I hope you have a better time here on Maui next time.

YOU CAN NEVER NOT TIP!!! That is rude... .
Thats an interesting statement in my opinion, and its up to the customer whether they are happy or not, on if they want to tip. Especially on Maui, where the 2-tank dive trips are some of the most expensive in the country, its not up to your customers to pay your wages. Its up to the dive shop to pay you per trip, and its up to the customer to see if he wants to give you a "bonus".

It seems to me the days - if ever they were - where a tip was considered a bonus rather than an obligation, are no longer. How much you give is another matter. I think the 'rude' assessment is applicable if the consideration of tip is not made 'normatively'. If you ask a direct question, and get a lie - that's worthy of a rude tip or other response. If you get the usual dive trip, even if it's not what you'd hoped or even expected absent some direct questioning, it's not so much the crew's fault I'd say.

I've never understood tipping just for the sake of not being rude. If I pay for a charter and you take me to the dive site, help me in and out of the water, and bring me back, isn't that what I already paid for? Isn't the staff being paid by the shop? The boat crew is just doing their job...and they're already getting paid to do it. If the crew go out of their way to cater to me...meaning above and beyond their assigned duties...then a tip is warranted...and earned. But I don't necessarily like tipping the crew that has only done their job. The big winner here is the shop owner that pays very little to their staff and make their staff rely on tips. The argument can be made that the tip is for the crew's work in loading your tanks and guiding you on the dive. But, again, isn't that what they get paid to do? I have tipped generously in the past...and I have gone on charters and not tipped at all. To me, the tip is not a mandatory thing...it is earned by the crew...or it is not. It's entirely up to them.

As it turns out, I got a message today that the company has issued a refund to my credit card. Mistakes and poor judgement happen; how they are dealt with is what matters to me. I'm glad I didn't name names because now I know that the company has integrity

All the more reason to mention the company's name.

- Bill

I've never understood tipping just for the sake of not being rude. If I pay for a charter and you take me to the dive site, help me in and out of the water, and bring me back, isn't that what I already paid for? Isn't the staff being paid by the shop? The boat crew is just doing their job...and they're already getting paid to do it. If the crew go out of their way to cater to me...meaning above and beyond their assigned duties...then a tip is warranted...and earned. But I don't necessarily like tipping the crew that has only done their job. The big winner here is the shop owner that pays very little to their staff and make their staff rely on tips. The argument can be made that the tip is for the crew's work in loading your tanks and guiding you on the dive. But, again, isn't that what they get paid to do? I have tipped generously in the past...and I have gone on charters and not tipped at all. To me, the tip is not a mandatory thing...it is earned by the crew...or it is not. It's entirely up to them.
At the risk of repetition and belaboring the obvious - until you've paid the tip, no, you haven't paid for the trip! That's all I'm saying. Both the owner and crew know to factor tips into the employment agreement. I'm sure there are regional, generational, and demographic nuances to how that is perceived, but I don't know [-]many[/-] any who don't think tipping in certain now-traditional settings, like restaurants and personal service relationships, is fully expected. I get called out when I tip 15%, not 20%, on the food tab.

By the way, isn't not being rude a justification that stands on its own, in any setting? Not that other considerations can't over-ride it now and then...

At the risk of repetition and belaboring the obvious - until you've paid the tip, no, you haven't paid for the trip! That's all I'm saying. Both the owner and crew know to factor tips into the employment agreement. I'm sure there are regional, generational, and demographic nuances to how that is perceived, but I don't know [-]many[/-] any who don't think tipping in certain now-traditional settings, like restaurants and personal service relationships, is fully expected. I get called out when I tip 15%, not 20%, on the food tab.

By the way, isn't not being rude a justification that stands on its own, in any setting? Not that other considerations can't over-ride it now and then...

I don't think that I have ever disagreed more. Tips are given for going above and beyond your assigned duties. Are you saying that after paying $125+ for a 2-tank dive charter, I now also have to provide more money to the crew for doing their job?

The biggest cause of the decline of customer service in many industries is the idea that tips are given no matter what. WRONG. Tips are given for good service. Better tips are given for better service. Great tips are given for great service. See the pattern there? The sad part is when employees ask for tips. I've been asked for a tip after receiving mediocre service. My tip to that person is, "provide better service." But, of course, the problem is that now the "non-tipper" will probably get even worse service upon returning. If I get such bad service that I don't see the need for a tip, I usually don't return to the business anyway.

Back
Top Bottom