ProEar Diving Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Gert, If you do attempt to combine the ear cups with a better mask, please let me know. BTW, I want to try to the ProPlugs instead of the ProEar Mask, not with the mask. I am hoping the ProEar plugs will allow me back into a regular mask...a better mask. Will know soon and will report back mid Nov.

Just wanted to follow up in here to say that I did get to use the ProPlugs on my recent trip and they are amazing! The plugs did the same thing for me that the ProEar Mask did by keeping the water out and yet I was able to use a regular mask. I found the plugs so much easier to use. You just put them in and that's it. You don't have to think about them again. With the ProEar mask, I was constantly purging and adjusting plus, as I stated earlier, the mask just isn't that good, certainly not compared to a regular mask. ProPlugs are what I will keep diving with!

he, he, not the samething. You better do more practices to get accustomed to ProEar. Proplugs can not solved all the problems. ProEar is a comprehensive solution for diver's masks, not only to prevent dirty water from entering diver's ears.

Invented
By
God (or FSM)

IMO

According to my ear doctor, I'm possibly swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to eardrum durability and I've had the pleasure of perforating my left eardrum twice.

I don't know what happened the first time but I was on a descent, I may have been going to fast here and trying to hard to equalize, but wham!!! instant vertigo and i found myself wondering whether I could actually puke into a regulator. Yes, I know you can..now. Once the for had cleared and I'd figured out which way was up I continued with the dive not thinking anything had "gone wrong" , this was in warm water and the vertigo only lasted about a minute or so, but when I returned to the boat, i realised that I not only had a serious problem, but I could also perform cool party tricks with cigarette smoke.

And so ended the diving portion of my holiday.

The nest year i returned to the same location to do my Divemaster ( Utila Honduras ) and about a month into the program, with me being ultra paranoid about my eardrums I noticed a funny feeling in my left ear, yet it wasn't perforated. I paid a visit to the doctor that day and he had a look and told me what's "probably" happened is I've developed a few micro perforations in my eardrum which have allowed seawater to enter my middle ear causing an infection which was trying to pop out my eardrum from behind.

Luckily, I'd had the foresight to bring a course of Cipro with me as the only antibiotic available on the island at the time was Amoxicillin, which is rather wimpy.

Enter this Dutch guy, who was down on the island fun diving, and his funny looking mask. I'm stuck on the beach, actually doing that bit in the Divemaster program where you go to every dive shop and ask them about their boats, radio frequencies, Oxygen, first aid, rather than just copying "the last guy's" paper and dutch guy offers to sell me the mask, which he's bought specifically because he perforates his eardrum every time he dives, after he's finished with it.

So some thumb twiddling, beer consumption and several novels later, I bought the mask and was able to complete my Divemaster as planned. Yea, it was kind of gross diving with a perforated eardrum, what, with all that mysterious orange goo welling up from my middle ear when I surfaced but I managed to deal with that discreetly and I was using Vaseline around the ear pieces to ensure a watertight seal. IIRC, it only flooded out once.

So now I won't go on a dive trip without it. Sure I can dive locally ( brrrr cold ) with a regular mask and a hood but I don't do more than two dives in a day and I certainly don't dive daily for weeks.

This mask has allowed me to plan dive trips rather than trips with diving in them and I've shilled for this product ( IRL, this is the first time I've done it online ) to anybody that's ever complained about having ear problems. I've even suggested that dive schools keep a few of these "under the counter" in case a student is unable to complete their training due to ear problems and is looking for a refund.

When I was getting my certification, I already had a Tusa mask that I used for snorkeling, but I bought the pro-ear because I was worried I'd have ear problems during my cert dives (i also bought the doc's pro ear plugs). The ear plugs with the Tusa mask worked good enough for me, but the pro-ear mask definitely does work better and I would highly recommend it to anybody who is diving infrequently, or not at all, due to ear issues. The only reason I don't use it regularly is because it has a pretty limited FOV (it seems more like a spearfishing mask than a scuba mask).

Please refer to following difference between Pro Ear Plugs and ProEar diving mask.
Both Pro Ear Plugs and ProEar diving masks can keep diver's ear dry. But Pro Ear plugs can not adjust the pressure inside ear canal while ProEar diving mask can adjust the pressure of ear canals via puffs from nostrils.
With the help of this ear canal pressure adjustment, apart from traditional Valsalva maneuver and recommended Frenzel maneuver, ProEar diving mask gives us another kind of "Puff Maveuver" to achieve middle ear equaliztion. ProEar diving mask's "Puff Maneuver" is much more easier than Valsalva maneuver and much more reliable than Frenzel maneuver.
Now you see the key difference is that the simple ear plug will not allow you to adjust the ear canal pressure with the puffs from nostrils although both of them can keep ears dry.

Hi, I think I posted this on the wrong thread, so I'm reposting it here....

I've been looking into buying a ProEar Mask before my dive trip next month, I'm pretty sure they will help me with my ear problems I've been having over the years. The thing I'm noticing is that there are two different ProEar 2000 masks, one by IST for like $70 and another that is just ProEar2000 for like $180.... I can't tell the difference, can anyone offer any insight??

You can buy ProEar directly from our website and make payment by PayPal. We can ship you by speed post list EMS, USPS etc depending on where you are located.
Please visit our website: Bifocus Diving Mask.
You can choose ProEar with flat plain lenses or with bifocus sticker lenses (especially designed for aged diver who is suffering from far-sightedness). Shipping cost is included. Please leave messege of your choice and shipping address with your PayPal payment. Also if any question, please send email to me by roverdive@sina.com.

Enjoy your diving trip.

IST ProEar and ProEar2000 are basically same. But when you buy ProEar diving masks, you should test them by exhaling and inhaling from your nose to see if the equalization tubes are in good working condition. When exhale, you should hear sounds from both tubes. When inhale, you should have vacuum feeling inside mask. If one side tube is open in both directions, it mean the duckbill valve is misplaced. I think the price differences are mainly related to these small problems. It is very easy to fix these problem by dissambling the tubes and reinstall the duckbill valves. The following diagram is for your reference.

ProEarDiag.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom