Problem with valve in new Worthington HP130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After about 15 dives on the tank (brand new) with the same regulator (Apeks DS4 DIN) and no problems now when I open the tank there is a leak out of the pinhole in the side of the valve. The DIN is screwed in all the way. At first it would only leak for approximately 10 seconds 3 out of 4 times I turned the tank on, now it leaks consistently until I shut the tank down. I don't understand what the problem is?

If you are using a Din fitting is the O ring missing from the back of your reg?
Could there be a missing O ring on the back of the little threaded insert adapter if you are using a yoke reg?
Just guessing......
Chug

DIN reg as stated, and the O-ring is there, maybe I need to take a closer look. Is there an O-ring in the female din connection in the tank? I'm fairly new to DIN, it's probably something really stupid. I haven't had time to actually take a close look, I've been sick for the last two days but I'm bored out of my mind and figured I'd throw a post up. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not but this happened after an extended use of a yoke adapter after a trip to bonaire.

DIN reg as stated, and the O-ring is there, maybe I need to take a closer look. Is there an O-ring in the female din connection in the tank?

Nope, the only o-ring should be on the regulator. A few common causes of valve leaks on DIN plugs:

Reg not screwed in all the way
Damaged o-ring (look for gouges, tears or embedded slivers of metal)
Incorrect size or hardness of o-ring
Mis-aligned or doubled o-ring (sometimes happens if you use those stainless steel DIN plugs)

Since you've ruled out #1, I'd try replacing the o-ring.

Try screwing in someone else's reg. If it continues to leak, it's very likely the valve. If you know what you're doing, you can take off the hand wheel and inspect the internal o-rings and stem. You wouldn't need to drain the cylinder.

To me it sounds like the regulator din connection isn't seating against the bottom of the din valve on the tank properly.
Is it a 200 or 300 din valve on the 130 ?
Could be a bad o-ring on the din valve portion of the reg.
Could be a small piece of junk under the din o-ring that is not letting it seat.
Could be the wrong size o-ring in the din fitting.
Could be the din valve isn't screwing all the way in. (Bottoming out in valve)

If it is a din 200, do you have the insert to convert to yoke ?
If so, insert the threaded insert and screw it down and atttach a yoke type reg to is and see if it still blows air. If it still blows air, its the valve , not the reg..

Good luck.

PS , if you are not doing anything tomorrow and want to take a drive to the Haigh, we will be there. You could try your reg on some other din valve tanks and we could try some other din regs on your tank. If its just a bad o-ring, I'm sure I have one that would fit.

Jim Breslin

After about 15 dives on the tank (brand new) with the same regulator (Apeks DS4 DIN) and no problems now when I open the tank there is a leak out of the pinhole in the side of the valve. The DIN is screwed in all the way. At first it would only leak for approximately 10 seconds 3 out of 4 times I turned the tank on, now it leaks consistently until I shut the tank down. I don't understand what the problem is?

Check that the allen screw at the o-ring is tight.

Inspect the threads on the regulator and the valve to make sure you don't have something jammed in them that is keeping the regulator from seating properly. A toothbrush is usually effective at removing any crud, otherwise a soft brass brush might be necessary for serious junk. The regulator should screw in easily, if it doesn't you have a problem. Replace the o-ring on the DIN connector. The o-ring (AP1166) that comes in the annual Apeks kit is a -111, I'm fond of A90 Vitons, YRMV. Carry a spare or ten. Use stainless steel DIN plugs on the valve and caps on the regulator.

It is a hopeless situation.

Send it to me immediately and I will properly dispose of it.

What do you mean, the pinhole on the side of the valve? Where exactly is it leaking?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom