problem with a depth sounder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subcookie

Reaction score
I just purchased a boat to do some diving.It came with a depth sounder X-65 lowrance. the unit is a older model.When I turn it on everything seem right but it does'nt read any depth. I check all the connection on the transducer and everything seem alright.anybody knows if i could do a test on the unit to see where the problems is?

Is your monitor just blinking (perhaps blinking 0.0)? The unit would need to be in contact with the water to work as Chuck mentioned.

Also, some transducers are mounted on a hinge. Make sure your transducer is facing straight down (and of course in the water).

--Matt

Check the wire connecting the transducer and follow it to the display. If the insulation is damaged the transducer may not be getting enough voltage.

Can you hear the transducer click when it's out of the water? If no clicks then the transducer may not be getting what it needs.

I had to cut the wire and reconnect to install mine. I ended up with a similar problem and found it was due to insufficient insulation at my splice. It was a very subtle difference between enough and not enough.

Good luck
Tony

subcookie:
I realize that the transducer have to be in water.but its still indicate only 0 feet on the monitor

Is the transducer pointing straight down from the boat to the bottom? Mine is mounted with a hinge. If it's angled up it will not register. Beyond these items you need to verify the integrity of the wires as suggested above.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom