Water in GoPro dive housing to deal with heat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could dive with my group. The water is 55F so the cooling effect will be better. Also, as the visibility is 5-10 feet of mostly green water, you could decrease your resolution and frame rate with little consequence for your viewers. Come to think of it, you might not even need to record your dive, as I’ve just described it pretty well.

Now this is very funny 🤣

I don't think putting some water in the housing is a completely crazy idea. I'm trying to work out if an air containing vessel (i.e. camera), surrounded by water in a rigid housing would be compressible at depth since you can't compress water (i.e. the water in the housing). Have you just invented a GoPro housing that can be used at any depth? Maybe someone with a better understanding of physics can answer?

Hero 11 with Enduro Battery, 4k60, 10bit ON, everything else off.
I don't have this model GoPro, and have not used the Enduro battery, but isn't that a low temperature battery? Because it is designed to work better in low temp environments, it seems that it would run hotter even at "normal" temps....and extremely hot at higher temps, like in Florida or the Caribbean. I use regular batteries and have never had an overheating issue. Maybe check the ideal operating temperatures for the batteries with Go Pro and make sure you're within tolerances.

Also, for what it's worth, most people (who aren't professionals) can't distinguish the difference between 1080 and 4k. Less workload, like 1080p 120fps, would look the same and require less work from the camera. It's also easier to edit as the file sizes are much smaller. I shoot in 1080p, 120fps, wide, protune on, stabilization on and get plenty of life out of regular batteries. Good luck! :)

Also, for what it's worth, most people (who aren't professionals) can't distinguish the difference between 1080 and 4k. Less workload, like 1080p 120fps, would look the same and require less work from the camera. It's also easier to edit as the file sizes are much smaller. I shoot in 1080p, 120fps, wide, protune on, stabilization on and get plenty of life out of regular batteries. Good luck! :)

You're right, but I feel that 4K gives you the option to crop video and maintain quality output. This is the only benefit for me. I've had to crop out so many pesky divers from cool fish shots on recent trips!

Back
Top Bottom