PRO Crossover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So far, the only kind of crossover I have seen are on the instructor level, i.e. instructor from agency x to agency y; OR a DM rating from agency x qualifying for an instructor course to agency y.

What if a DM from agency x wants to work at a resort that only employs pros from agency y but the DM is not ready become an instructor? Must he take the full DM course from agency y? Or can he apply for a direct crossover assuming the requirements are extremely similar?

Generally if DMs are certified and insured, it's not usually agency specific to become employed. However, every employer wants their DMs "groom-able" to be future instructors with the agency(s) that the LDS/Charter Boat/Resort is affiliated with.
Some shops/resorts have multiple agencies (I know of 1 with 5).
Most CDs/ITs will accept IDC candidates who have completed DM-equivalent training to another agency's standards. The meat and bones are essentially the same, it's just a different logo on the hat.
This may sound redundant but, it's not the agency it's the instructor. If he/she enriched your training above and beyond the minimum, then you will be a better-than-minimum DM. If you have oodles of experience and use sound common sense as a DM, then you will be a better than average DM. You are going to get out of any program, what you put into it, regardless of the agency alphabet.

Thank you for your reply but thats not my question.

Specific E.g: You are a PADI instructor and you need a DM to increase your instructor to student ratio. I am a NAUI DM.... but do not want to be an instructor and take another course yet. you get the picture.

P.s. I am not a NAUI DM. The above is just an example.

I haven't looked into the PADI or NAUI standards but divemasters from those organizations may cross into SSI at the divemaster level.

Hi Tom, thanks for the input.

If I understand correctly, you do not crossover at the same level (i.e. DM) but you have to take the DCS course as a DM from another agency.

What I want to know is that, is there a direct crossover, meaning you are a let's say, PADI DM, and the instructor/dive operation wants to hire you to assist to increase their ratio but with another agency, and allow you to be a (Insert agency name here)'s DM by giving you a direct crossover without selling you another class or course, satisfied that you have already met the requirement by being a DM of another agency. Does any S&P provide for this?

In order to be a "Certified Assistant" in a PADI class... you have to be a PADI Active Status Divemaster. Not sure about the other agencies' requirements.

In order to be a "Certified Assistant" in a PADI class... you have to be a PADI Active Status Divemaster. Not sure about the other agencies' requirements.

Yes I know that. So the question is, if I am a NAUI/SSI active status Divemaster, can I crossover to be a PADI active status Divemaster WITHOUT TAKING THE PADI DIVEMASTER COURSE?

You would have to take a crossover course. You have to learn the methods and standards of the new agency... YOu can't just mail in an application and it be done...

There isn't a PADI Divemaster crossover for other agencies. You would need to either complete the entire course meeting all performance requirements necessary for certification at that level, or probably better, in terms of time, cost and learning benefits to take the PADI Assistant Instructor course, this would then credit at a later date should you decide to pursue the Instructor path.

So in other words, the answer I am looking for is "NO".

Ok thank you.

Back
Top Bottom