Private vs regular group lessons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^^ this

For me there is one reason and one reason only someone fails OW. That is blanton and willful desrergard for safety. If I'm running a group class and a student struggles, it is a simple matter of meeting for another session with that student. Depending on pool fees I will probably have to charge more for the private session but it is because I have to pay for the pool.

Don't beat yourself up if you struggle, WE ALL STRUGGLED WITH ONE OR MORE SKILL. Be patient and RELAX and you'll do fine.
wow. who the f*** would say screw safety when they're underwater....and rely on their equipment/safe operation of it to stay alive basically. that's also a liability for the rest of the class as one dumba** person could put the group safety in jeopardy.
yeah...I'm a perfectionist to a fault. I need to chill and just have fun, enjoy the process.

@kay_ann

You're in good hands with @Jim Lapenta. If there is anyone who can address your concerns about diving, it's him.

I'm confident with him as your instructor you will fall in love with diving.

@kay_ann

You're in good hands with @Jim Lapenta. If there is anyone who can address your concerns about diving, it's him.

I'm confident with him as your instructor you will fall in love with diving.
many people here have expressed the same sentiment. which is why I messaged him. thank you :)

hahaha! kissing his a** for money lmaooo
I've got bills to pay!

yeah I kinda taught myself to swim but idk if it's the right technique or not. I can stay above water LOL and can swim underwater. never had formal swimming lessons. so I'm not a "water natural" yet lol. which is one of the reasons I'm going to choose private lessons if I enjoy the intro scuba class.
You probably know there is a swim test for the OW course. If you can get from point A to point B over 200 yards you pass. I've seen many get by with woefully poor swim strokes. You get all your forward power on scuba by kicking but 75% of power from arms swimming. Remember to dig deep in the water with your arms/hands, you get no power when they are out of water (not too high up). Don't move head side to side after each stroke. Look down, to left (breathe) or down, to right (breathe).

You probably know there is a swim test for the OW course. If you can get from point A to point B over 200 yards you pass. I've seen many get by with woefully poor swim strokes. You get all your forward power on scuba by kicking but 75% of power from arms swimming. Remember to dig deep in the water with your arms/hands, you get no power when they are out of water (not too high up). Don't move head side to side after each stroke. Look down, to left (breathe) or down, to right (breathe).
Yeah I do and that’s what I’m super worried about lol. That if I can go that distance but with horrible strokes then I’ll fail the test.
Thank you for the tips. Next time I go to an indoor pool I’ll practice

Yeah I do and that’s what I’m super worried about lol. That if I can go that distance but with horrible strokes then I’ll fail the test.
Thank you for the tips. Next time I go to an indoor pool I’ll practice

The swim is just a swim. Relax and swim, whatever stroke or combination of strokes you want to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom