Prints from RAW vs SHQ from 5050 ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
???

Hi, someone mentioned to me that he could make prints from his NikonD100 RAW pics in 2 meter poster size & still have the quality....This i'm truely amazed at....although not totally convinced!

So...any members here got any stats on what a RAW file can do from a 5050?

BTW...I know that SHQ doesn't go that big either, but does anyone have the stats for this resolution too?

First of all you wouldn't usuall print directly from a RAW file. You would first converted to an an uncomrpessed format like TIFF. Just speaking in the physical number of pixels a picture shot in RAW will have the same number of pixels as that of a JPEG file of the highest quality available on the camera. But when it comes to making prints the compression 'artifacts' of a JPEG file will show up as noise, softness and/or tearing when making large prints, more than it will with an uncompressed one.

With my C5050 (5MP) the largest optimum print I make on my 1440dpi EPSON printer is 27cm(10.6) x 20cm(8) @ 240ppi, regardless of RAW or JPEG. I could probably push it further by 10 to 20% by using a fractals scaling program before the edges start 'tearing'. In this situation a RAW or uncompressed file would be preferred.

I have had excellent results printing 20 x 30 inch poster size from SHQ setting jpeg files from a lowly 3.3 megapixel Oly-C-3000 using www.ofoto.com. That service uses photographic paper and is a Kodak company, and there's no apparent loss in image transfer compared to a dotprinter. Haven't tried it with TIFF settings, but would venture to guess that quality is even better. I just upgraded to 4 megapixels and expect even better results. Give 'em a try. I highly recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom