Princeton Tec Torrent LED or Halcyon Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unwarranted scare tactics are not a good way to sell your wares to educated purchasers.

In fact comments like that make me not want to own your products.

We are not trying to use "scare tactics," we are simply not recommending lithium batteries in lights when diving in salt water.

Lithium batteries are expensive. One might think that with the limited use a backup light gets this would not be a problem. I just had to retire an Intova light because it would get switched on by accident too easily. It only takes an hour or two until a $10 set of lithium batteries become useless. They are also much more difficult to find than the universally available AA size.

What would be the better option. I'll be using for a primary short term, in a very known environment, moderate vis.(20-30'). The scout will be non-LED. I'm considering durability as well as efficiency.

Thanks

I have used the New Torrent LED with 95 lumens at your local dive spot last summer and was just fine as a primary in the location. The conditions were ideal; it was a Wednesday night and there was no silt to speak of. If you are doing a Saturday night dive (when conditions are at their worst), I would highly recommend something stronger, i.e. a Shockwave LED or Miniwave LED, with up to 400 lumens.

I own the Torrent LED last years model that only has 47 lumens. Is there a way to upgrade my model to the current one?

Thanks,

Mike
I'd be interested to know that too.

For durability and efficiency I think you should go with the Torrent LED from the two mentioned.
Also have a look at the Ikelite PCa , a buddy brought this one recently and it was brighter and smaller than my PT Torrent LED (2008 version).

I like the white beam a led gives, very nice for illuminating small stuff in the day or poor viz, but somehow I prefer the UK SL4 non-led for night dives. Does "the light is more cozy" count as reason to choose your primary? :wink:

My Princeton Tec "Rage" light flooded recently - only the second time I went diving with it. Now it is useless. Piece of crap ):

For durability and efficiency I think you should go with the Torrent LED from the two mentioned.

I like the white beam a led gives, very nice for illuminating small stuff in the day or poor viz, but somehow I prefer the UK SL4 non-led for night dives. Does "the light is more cozy" count as reason to choose your primary? :wink:

Naturally, I will recommend the Torrent LED. It is the brightest light of its size for the lowest price on the market with the best warranty around. 30 hours of burn time with a 95 lumen output.

Non-LED will appear brighter during the day because of the color temperature. However, LED will appear brighter during night dives.

My Princeton Tec "Rage" light flooded recently - only the second time I went diving with it.

Lights flood for a number of reasons (over or under tightening, cracked/dry o-ring, dirty threads, etc.) which is why Princeton Tec warrants all of their products. Please contact the shop where you purchased it or Princeton Tec directly to have it replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom