Princeton Tec Torrent LED or Halcyon Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own the Torrent. It screams! Love the light, unforuntanetly I dont use it very often because my HID primary is its daddy!

The halogen version of the Scout is dim because it is undervolted to prolong bulb life and reliability. It is however in my opinion to dim even for a back up light. I much prefer an LED in that role as it offers long bulb life, long battery life and a nice bright white light.

The LED version of the Scout is a great backup option, but if you shop around a bit you can get a slightly better LED module for a lot less money from a third party supplier.

The halogen version of the Scout is dim because it is undervolted to prolong bulb life and reliability. It is however in my opinion to dim even for a back up light. I much prefer an LED in that role as it offers long bulb life, long battery life and a nice bright white light.

The LED version of the Scout is a great backup option, but if you shop around a bit you can get a slightly better LED module for a lot less money from a third party supplier.

...um, can you share any specific details on the 'mystery' 3rd-party-supplier Scout LED module ??? ...I'd like to upgrade mine, but Halcyon wants $ 140 for the OEM module !!!

Karl

Hi all,
Newbie question: I guessing that using 8 AA lithium batteries is not recommended and just use AA alkaline is the way to go?

Joe

...um, can you share any specific details on the 'mystery' 3rd-party-supplier Scout LED module ??? ...I'd like to upgrade mine, but Halcyon wants $ 140 for the OEM module !!!

Karl

Buy a UK eLed light for $49. Swap the two modules. (Need to add a bit of electrical tape and flip the batteries.) Now your Scout is an LED light (and brighter than with the H module) and you have an extra back-up light as well. All for $80 less than the H module.

Last edited:
Torrent LED now has 95 Lumens and retails for $60. It's one of the brighter lights on the market for that price. It takes 8 AA alkaline batteries which wont explode if they touch salt water like the CR123 Lithiums. Full lifetime warranty also means it can be repaired or replaced if it breaks.

You know, I have to call BS on this statement about CR123 Lithium batteries exploding if they touch salt water. And Princeton Tec as a manufacturer should be far above this kind of blatant misinformation.

Can a Lithium battery explode? Sure. On immersion in salt water? I'd like to see the proof. Maybe if the battery casing is cracked or corroded to the extent that the lithium inside is exposed... A flooded CR123-powered flashlight during a dive isn't suddenly a potential bomb.

Princeton Tec makes nice stuff and stands behind their products in a great way - but c'mon guys.

Lithium batteries can be used, however, if salt water comes into contact with lithium batteries it will cause a very explosive reaction. Princeton Tec does not recommend lithium batteries, except for conditions where extreme cold weather (-50 F or colder) or weight is important.

The chemical reaction of salt water and lithium batteries cause extreme gas build up inside the body, which can explode the body, not the batteries. We are sorry for this confusion. While the batteries will not "explode," salt water will cause a severe chemical reaction which can cause significant damage to the light.

Torrent LED now has 95 Lumens and retails for $60. It's one of the brighter lights on the market for that price. It takes 8 AA alkaline batteries which wont explode if they touch salt water like the CR123 Lithiums. Full lifetime warranty also means it can be repaired or replaced if it breaks.

I own the Torrent LED last years model that only has 47 lumens. Is there a way to upgrade my model to the current one?

Thanks,

Mike

Unwarranted scare tactics are not a good way to sell your wares to educated purchasers.

In fact comments like that make me not want to own your products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom