primary hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all. I'm changing my hoses to a DIR config and was wondering if I should get a 5' or 7' primary hose. I'm 5'6" and currently only dive singles. Is there any reason I should get a 7' hose or will the 5' be plenty? Thanks.

Aaron

AaronR103:
Hey all. I'm changing my hoses to a DIR config and was wondering if I should get a 5' or 7' primary hose. I'm 5'6" and currently only dive singles. Is there any reason I should get a 7' hose or will the 5' be plenty? Thanks.

Aaron

If you aren't doing any overhead, you may want to go with a 5' hose. The primary reason for a 7' primary is for single file egress.

I need to pay atttention to where I'm posting as well. :wink:

You know, I'm 6'5", my buddy has a 7' hose... might not be too comfortable exiting the cave, his hose is just a bit longer than I am. Need to talk him into an 8' hose :)

When not using my can, I throw one of those dive-rite pockets I have laying around on my harness and route the hose under that.

Edit:
Whoops, just noticed this was the DIR forum... preparing to get flamed :) I guess if you're DIR, you should always be diving with your can light... always.

I dive a 7' hose with my single 80. I've got pretty short torso, standing a whole 5'6''. I route mine under my light, then under my knife, up and around. This has worked really well, everything is kept nice and tight.

If you don't have a can light, it is prefecty acceptable to tuck it into your waist belt or under a pocket that is on the right side webbing. I did this for a while with no issues.

I personally don't see the advantage of a 5' hose. 7' gives plenty to work with and is still quite managable.

Dive safe and have fun!

loosebits:
You know, I'm 6'5", my buddy has a 7' hose... might not be too comfortable exiting the cave, his hose is just a bit longer than I am. Need to talk him into an 8' hose :)

When not using my can, I throw one of those dive-rite pockets I have laying around on my harness and route the hose under that.

Edit:
Whoops, just noticed this was the DIR forum... preparing to get flamed :) I guess if you're DIR, you should always be diving with your can light... always.

Not really. You bring whatever tools you need for the job. On a 20-30ft reef dive in clear water, for instance, the can light is next to useless. You just can't see the beam. A pocket attached to the harness strap would work just fine in such a situation. And in the absense of light communication you would, of course, be doing a better job of keeping track of your buddy. If you do need a light to look into a dark spot, though, you always got your backups tucked away on your harness.

Oh, and to asnwer the original poster's question - just go with the 7. You never know if you'll decide to get into overhead diving in the future, and if you do - you're already set. I've never had a problem with my hose being 7ft, even when diving single tank in open water. I'm 5'9".

-Roman.

With regards to hose length, your height doesn't matter...it's your buddy's height that could potentially come into play (though they'd have to be > 6'6" or so for it to be any issue at all). Remember that the reason why you have a 7' hose is to enable a single file egress. The out of gas diver always leads in the event of a single file exit and a 7' hose will work in pretty much any circumstance, though with a very tall OOG diver you might need to maneuver a bit differently.

A 7' hose will work in all circumstances, though I use a 6' hose for open water single tank diving because I find it routes a bit better on my skinny frame. For OW diving, anything in the 5'-7' range will work.

As a new diver and one who has decided to go with the DIR config from the get go, I'm going to go with the full 7' primary when I buy my rig in the next few weeks. I did a great deal of research and now feel very good about how (theoretically) the long hose works and feel that, with practice, I will be able to master it and will be glad I went that route.

I'm 5'4" and use a 7' hose routed under a can light. I find that, no matter how I fiddle with it, there is always a little extra hose somewhere. But, since I hope to learn to cave dive, the point about the hose length being set by your buddy's height is a pertinent one.

One of the guys in my Fundies class used a 5' hose. His teammates agreed that it was definitely not as nice for air sharing as the 7', and he has switched.

Soggy:
With regards to hose length, your height doesn't matter...it's your buddy's height that could potentially come into play (though they'd have to be > 6'6" or so for it to be any issue at all). Remember that the reason why you have a 7' hose is to enable a single file egress. The out of gas diver always leads in the event of a single file exit and a 7' hose will work in pretty much any circumstance, though with a very tall OOG diver you might need to maneuver a bit differently.

A 7' hose will work in all circumstances, though I use a 6' hose for open water single tank diving because I find it routes a bit better on my skinny frame. For OW diving, anything in the 5'-7' range will work.

No, it is my height that should determine his hose length. We are doing a single file egress out of a cave, lets say I am 9' tall. As the receiving diver, I must be in front. How is a puny 7' hose going to make it from his valves past his head (about a foot) up the entire lenght of my body to my mouth? The shorter the receiving diver the more comfortable a 7' hose is. As it stands now, a 7' hose is long enough since my knees will be bent (modified frog) so he can get closer to my mouth but it would be more comfortable for him (less fins/knees in his face) if he had a longer hose.

On the other hand, if I were a 4'2" 65# horse jocky, a 5' hose would be all he really needs but 7' would still make it more comfortable.

Of course, while it would be more comfortable, I wouldn't ask him to figure out how to route an 8' hose for some added comfort in the rare occasion we need it. When I did my intro, I was the only person in the class and my instructor commented on how 7' hoses weren't made with me in mind after we did our blind-air-sharing exit on the Peanut line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom