primary hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, must have mis-read.... need more coffee :)

AaronR103:
Hey all. I'm changing my hoses to a DIR config and was wondering if I should get a 5' or 7' primary hose. I'm 5'6" and currently only dive singles. Is there any reason I should get a 7' hose or will the 5' be plenty? Thanks.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

You will find that the 7' hose is actually much more comfortable than the 5' hose. My wife and I are about the same height you are, and we used to dive a 5' hose. Here is a photo showing the 5' hose on my wife in cavern class. It's easy to see the hose because its yellow in the photo.

You'll notice the hose is pretty tight up under the arm and really wasn't very comfortable. We both now dive with a 7' hose, which is tucked under our light canister and is much more comfortable to dive with (as well as more functional) than the 5' hoses were.

Well, seems to be unanimous. 7' it is. Thanks for the infor everyone.

A

good luck let us know how it works out.

These are always fun.

One of my primary DIR buddies has a sparrow-like build. Kinda small, but strong. This person was stumbling all over their 7 footer. But their long torso made the 5-er too short.

Went to EE on line, picked up the 6-footer. Perfect.

Body type is an important part of the equasion. I'm only 5'8, but I have stubby legs and also have a long torso. The 7 is perfect for me. And I only dive open water.

---
Ken

I was just at EE this week. I asked about a complete Single tank hose kit and the FIRST thing they suggested (since I was 6'1") was a 6 foot hose vs. a 5 foot one.

I am probably going 7 foot shortly after I get accustomed to the 6 foot one.

I started with the 5 ft. It was too hard in my DIR F class to do Air Shares. I switched it to the 7ft after the first dive. I'm about 5ft 11 with a 34 inseam. I think 6ft or the 7ft will be much better for you. The cost is about the same as well.

I also started with a 5' hose, but found that the way it hung across my chest put it in the way of my backup regulator. When I switched to a 7' it hung lower and allowed frr access to my backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom