price check on Atomic z3 reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psyhawkz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there looking into finally getting my own equipment and started browsing local ads and found this reg. It was bought brand new 3 years ago, ~20 total dives on it. Never been serviced and the seller says he would pay half the service costs.

I'd expect a selling price in the $2-300 range, assuming it comes with the atomic first stage and swivel hose.

What comes with it? Is it just one 1st and one 2nd stage or does another 2nd and maybe a gauge come with it?

A new Z3 shows up at $589.95 consistently at the normal vendors. The octopus seems to go for around $160. I would say that your full cost for the system should be not more than $475. But if it were me I'd get a new Z2 for $439 and go from there.

Your Atomic dealer also needs to be an Aqualung dealer so they can service both. Aqualung controls their parts pretty tightly - I don't believe a non-Aqualung dealer can easily get them. Also given the unique design of the ABS - I suspect they're proprietary.

A Z3 has a 3 year/300 dive service interval so you're in good shape there. Esp. since the seller is willing to pay 1/2.

A Z3 has a seat saver orifice which releases the tension on the seat while it's stored. Imprinting (denting) the seat is one of the reasons for service.

It's also the reason you don't dunk the entire reg in the rinse tank w/o keeping the 2nd stages higher. I just drape the hose over the faucet and immerse both stages - water doesn't run uphill.

If he bought it brand new, it's probably a Z3 2nd - if there's a picture - it's on the purge cover.

The difference between the Z2 and Z3 is the swivel hose, Atomic gets about $100 for it. And the 3 adds a 3rd year to the service interval.

It's a really good reg and all the Atomics - including the $1600 T3 - breathe identically. The difference is in how much exotic metal is used - all have some Ti components in the 2nd stage - Z stands for Zirconium which I believe is plated over brass in the 1st stage.

My octo is a Z(1). I can't tell the difference between it and my T2 except it pulls a little more since it doesn't have the swivel hose.

What's the asking price?

Your Atomic dealer also needs to be an Aqualung dealer so they can service both. Aqualung controls their parts pretty tightly - I don't believe a non-Aqualung dealer can easily get them. Also given the unique design of the ABS - I suspect they're proprietary.

What's the asking price?

That s somewhat of a pain in the ass, I guess?
Hes selling the z3 for 250+75 for the Octo+ whatever half the service will be.

A new Z3 shows up at $589.95 consistently at the normal vendors. The octopus seems to go for around $160. I would say that your full cost for the system should be not more than $475. But if it were me I'd get a new Z2 for $439 and go from there.
Yea I see not alot of people can justify the 100$ swivel vs the z2. Just seems like a solid deal tho at this price point.

That s somewhat of a pain in the ass, I guess?
Hes selling the z3 for 250+75 for the Octo+ whatever half the service will be.
Sounds like a reasonable, but not amazing, price. I've seen M1s and B2s pop up in that price range occasionally, but they tend to go quick.

It's not if your dealer does both. Actually both of mine do - I've never seen a Scubapro/Aqualung dealer though..lol

Seems like a fair price.My last service on my T2 - including the spool for the gauges - was $90 w.spool plus I think the reg parts kit was $37 for all 3 stages. I don't dive cold so don't seal them - if you do the Christolube runs about another $35-40 from what I was told by the tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom