Presecription mask lenses ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would highly recommend a Rx mask. I bought one 3 years ago when I got back into diving after a few year hiatus and it has been a blessing. I went through my LDS to get my mask. They worked with an optometrist that specializes in making Rx lenses and it has been great. I mainly dive with contacts now, but it is great knowing that I have my Rx should I have an issue with my contacts while diving.

I guess I bought the "instructor package" when I took OW - mask, snorkel, booties/fins. Being nearsighted, the dive shop replaced the regular lenses with prescription lenses. That was 21 years ago and I use the same TUSA mask today. Although I went back to the same shop about 8 years ago to have new lenses put in (due to a new prescription) I thought things looked fuzzy, so had them put the old ones back in. I do like that I can remove and replace the lenses if I want to in the future.

I like my seavision mask.

I have 2 ScubaPro masks, both with prescription lenses (from ScubaPro).
they work better than my regular glasses.

IMG_5838.JPG

One thing no ones mentioned is that My wife has ran into is there seem to be different standards as far as the prescription strength some are stronger some are weaker so you won’t know exactly what lens is going to be right underwater until you’ve tried them She is also near sighted like you.
Myself I’m far sighted with a stigmatizm and my eyes change so fast these days I’m in need of new lenses every year pick a mask that you can get a replacement for without a lot of effort.

I went with Cressi Focus masks, which are pretty generic. I've seen other masks with similar design, so may be compatible. These masks have user replaceable prescription lenses easily bought online.

I've also seen really inexpensive prescription masks with lenses included for around $50 USD. The Cressi Focus + lenses run about $30 for the mask and $20-25 per lens.

I first tried a mask with a prescription lens bonded to the inside of the mask. If was pretty bulky and a little heavy. I switched several years ago to the Seavision mask with a custom ground prescription which is has been working great for the past 5 years or so. Their bifocal part of the lens is great.

Hi @Mark Carrig

Dive Gear Express has some relatively inexpensive options. I tried the Dive Rite mask, it was too big for my face and leaked like a sieve. The DGX Ren mask is a perfect fit for me and the vision correction is great. The only drawback is the field of vision. I was used to diving a Cressi Matrix or Air mask and really enjoyed the large field of vision. The DGX Ren has a smaller field of vision. I may get another vision correcting mask in the future, for now I'm fine

My eyes are pretty bad and while I do have a 'proper' mask with lenses glued in as a primary, for a backup I ordered one off Amazon for ~$40CAD (price is a bit higher now). Honestly, the cheap one works just fine the few times I've switched to it.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AZ9560A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The strap is not great... but it's a backup.

No need to get too spendy until you know you'll be diving frequently.

Back
Top Bottom