Preferred redundant buoyancy when diving wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Max Speed I choose to carry a lift bag and a reel.
It does have a dump but I inflate it at or around 80'-70' depending on if I need it or not for deco.
That being said I have given up diving below 60' wet entirely and now dive dry as a redundant with a lift bag as a third device.
If you are going to use a lift bag only then I recommend training with it in a quarry till it was second nature.
I have witnessed many foul ups and nasty incidents with lift bags.
It can get ugly real fast.

I practice often and desire my buddies to do the same as failures do happen and deployments become a necessity.
What ever you decide I recommend plenty of training time.

The first time I had to float my 95's with my DS alone was on a night dive when my wing totally failed at 35'.
It was a great comfort to know that I had done this before and it was not a big deal.
Plan for the unexpected because it does happen and at depth below 60' with a wet suit things can get harry fast especially in cold water!
Buoyancy issues, thermal properties, narcosis all are working against you!
Makes a good buddy sound pretty good.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

My normal wetsuit (FJ 7 mil) compresses enough below about 80' that I cannot swim up without leaving something heavy behind on an empty (simulated failed) wing. That is tested with just enough weight to ensure descent and a safety stop with an empty wing.

My thoughts on redundant lift:

D) Anyone just send up a lift bag and climb the line? That makes me nervous because once the bag is reeling the line out it's pretty much gone if the reel tangles/jams and you have to let go. Plus that skinny line is hard to climb....

I did....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/365071-bc-failure.html

I'm surprised only DanV mentioned swimming your rig up.

I understand there is very good efficient gear available, and things can happen in a way that limits your actions, but the people should aim for the simplest solution.
Not only is a great idea to develop the strength to swim your behind up, it provides additional confidence to look at things in a more detailed manner maybe even allowing you to troubleshoot the issue.

Swimming complex gear from 200 feet may be a bear, but to hear people needing elaborated redundancy on a single tank from 80-100 feet is kinda pathetic.

I find the old "weight yourself so your neutral at your target depth and pick up a rock on your way up" trick works well, though if your on a site without any rocks yer kinda scuppered! Ive found its handy to go in a swimming pool wearing the kit and just trunks and the amount of weight i wear in the sea and see if i can lift myself up to the surface by sheer fin kicking power. If i can do it in fresh water with no suit at all i know I am fit enough to do it in the sea with an albeit highly compressed wetsuit on :D

I find the old "weight yourself so your neutral at your target depth and pick up a rock on your way up" trick works well, though if your on a site without any rocks yer kinda scuppered! Ive found its handy to go in a swimming pool wearing the kit and just trunks and the amount of weight i wear in the sea and see if i can lift myself up to the surface by sheer fin kicking power. If i can do it in fresh water with no suit at all i know I am fit enough to do it in the sea with an albeit highly compressed wetsuit on :D

:D That was how it was in the old days, when "anyone who needs a BC, deserves to drown" was a popular saying :D

Since we all use BC's today, being 6 pounds heavy at the bottom, is no big deal, since any of us should be able to swim that up===if you can't , take up golf instead...the bc will neutralize the 6 pounds....if it fails, no big deal....

I have a dual bladder wing, and I like it fine. I don't have the blackup bladder LP inflator connected unless I need it (which has only been in training). In my opinion, water in the 80s with surface temps over 100 degrees, a drysuit poses a significant risk to me in terms of heat-related problems like heat exhaustion & heat stroke. Before some of you go making assumptions about dehydration and other crap, just don't bother - I drink over a gallon of water a day (more on days I'm diving/out in the heat) and am not unfit/obese/whatever.

Yes - I can swim my rig up.
Yes - I can send up a lift bag and line climb
Yes - I can inflate a lift bag and use it to make a controlled ascent

I basically don't want to have to do any of those things when I have a better, in my opinion - for me, option. If I am well into a deco obligation, the last thing I want to do is exert a good bit of effort and energy to complete my run schedule. Wouldn't it be easier to do gas switches neutrally buoyant, rather than trying to swim up, hold a line, or hold on to a lift bag to stay at a depth? To me that answer is yes. YMMV....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom