Preferred Brand of Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KG, Rolex has never been the most prestigious watch, it was the most marketed... the most prestigious name was more likely Patek. But, it depends on the nature of timing... at moments, Heuer and Omega were top marketers as well.

KG, Rolex has never been the most prestigious watch, it was the most marketed... the most prestigious name was more likely Patek. But, it depends on the nature of timing... at moments, Heuer and Omega were top marketers as well.

Very true. But ask your average American what the most prestigious is. 9 times out of 10 I hear Rolex. Patek is for people that know better.

There are a few in this category. Patek, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantine, Breguet and on and on. They are known in the industry as "The Old Ladies of Watchmaking".

But even these prestigious brands are not nearly the most expensive pieces I sell. Currently that is Richard Mille at about $50,000-$500,000 depending on the model. I don't sell those one's every day though!

Sorry to have taken the thread off topic.

Back to dive watches....

Mille is very nice, but there are far more exotic as you know. Baumgartner and the watches coming out of his partnership with Hysek is one thought. The Opus watches from HW... Opus V was designed by Baumgartner. The new Laboratory from Jaeger Lecoultre is the first mechanical that doesn't require lubrication... and then there are Oeschler's works for both the indi watchmakers and Nardin... the automaton, Freak, Freak Diamonsil, The famed Trio and many others. My most prized piece is a GP pocket repeater from 1865, all original, triple signed from Le Locle. So yes, it's all relative.

I think the Opus is a very innovative watch. Urwerk are very intriguing to me in general as well. I actually got to meet with Dr. Ludwig Oechslin in Le Loc at about 2 years ago at Rolf Schnyders house. He is absolutely brilliant. I have many watches in my collection but my Nardin seams to get the most wear these days. I dont have a JLC but respect the brand a lot.

St. Moritz Momentum M1: Great basic dive watch, good bezel, fine to read underwater, decent value (~$70).

Agreed, I'm wearing the M1 now... good to 200m though you can always get an upgraded model like the "superstorm" that'll handle 500m. They also have a great warranty.

Agreed, I'm wearing the M1 now... good to 200m though you can always get an upgraded model like the "superstorm" that'll handle 500m. They also have a great warranty.

Agreed as well. Have been wearing St. Moritz for over 10 years now.

I like St Moritz due to it's service program. Their price range is great too. I got the Aquamatic since I wanted an Auto. I like the traditional diver style that Rolex seems to have started. It looks so simple, clean, elegant, and sporty. I wonder if people who say that their Rolex does not keep good enough time, don't understand an automatic watch, don't know they need routine service, it got damaged some how, or it's just bad. I know auto's aren't as good but my under $400 swiss auto is close enough that it only loses one minute a month. It may not be exact but it's sure good enough to time a dive if it's losing 2 seconds every 24 hours. Don't think I'm going to end up in a decompression dive over a fraction of a second. I think there are some good auto's out there for much cheaper than Rolex. Seiko's are good and can get them hacking and windable. St Moritz and Tissot are really good considering their price. Once you get to $1000 and up I feel you are paying for some fine tuning but I think mostly the name. However as a 007 fan I would buy a Seamaster tomorrow if funding allowed for it.

. I like the traditional diver style that Rolex seems to have started. It looks so simple, clean, elegant, and sporty. .

You point out something that is worth noting....

the traditional style that Rolex seems to have started is the standard that many of the other analog dive watches with the racheting bezel have copied.

I found a Tag Heuer Professional watch and it is great...I can use it to for my next dive...the face is large...

The most important thing to me about a dive watch (assuming I also have a computer, and this is only being used to time the dive) is that it is large and readable... and that the bezel or rotateable with some kind of marker for start or finish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom