Preferred Brand of Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whenever I got this kind of thread about the dive watch, I think it should be discussed separately on either a pure(?) dive watch (only time and bezzel) or a featured dive watch (including temp, depth, timer, etc....) Otherwise, it is hard to compare and discuss the watch. My 2 cent!

For the past decade I've been using a Timex Expedition watch for daily/beach/swim/diving. If I lose one I just go to my local Target boutique and buy a new one for 20 bucks. I've only lost one, in the surf, searching for a boy's lost frisbee.

For my main dive piece I use a Suunto Stinger, but I don't want to risk wearing it everyday walking around town.
The funny thing is that someone I know saved their Stinger from being lost in last December's tsunami because they wore it everyday. So much for logic :wink:

Hello,

My favourite dive watch is my OMEGA Seamaster. It is simply unlikely to fail. It doesn't need winding, batteries and should never leak (Water Resistant to 1000 feet)
I also like that th bezel stay in place unless you really turn it. I have found with some of my other watches that the bezel moves too easily.

I also dive with a citizen hyperaqualand. It is a dive logger and serves as a back up for my dive computer. It's a good watch. I think at some point I will invest in the NX. The only complaint I have about this watch is that the ascent alarm is a little too sensisitve. If I move my hand rapidly underwater it will go off.

All the best,

Paul

Since no one has mentioned it yet (it seems to come up every time this topic is discussed) ... Walmart/K-Mart has $5 watches that are waterproof, plus if you loose it or it does happen to flood, it's only a $5 watch - so not a big loss. They are usually only waterproof to 50 or 100meters, still if it works for a year, that's a pretty good deal. I happened to already have a casio G-shock but when it breaks/floods/gets lost, I'll probably pick up one of those Walmart "Aqualand" watches again.

Aloha, Tim

I have an Omega Seamaster and a Rolex Submariner. I love the Omega, the bezel is solid and only turns when you try to turn it, so it is a nice solid watch. It also has a helium release value, which is kind of cool...

My Rolex Submariner is completely bomb proof. That is all that is needed to be said about that watch, In my opinion the Rolex Sea Dweller is the only "dive" watch that is better that the Submariner. The Sea Dweller is good to 4000ft, come on.. So in order of hierarchy you got the King: The Rolex Sea Dweller, The Queen: The Rolex Submariner and all of the rest...

I have a Breitling Super Ocean, nice watch takes a beating and still looks great. Plus it's good to 5000 feet if you ever feel the urge.

The Kraken:
2Tours,
A watch is pretty much a personal preference, as is most things related to scuba diving.
Is one watch any better than another? I doubt that anyone on the board has any empirical studies done showing the abilities of one watch over another.
That said . . .
I have two dive watches, the Luminox "Seal" watch and the Citizen Hyper Aqualand.
The Luminox is a very good, bright servicable watch.
I like the Citizen because it can serve as a back up timer and depth gauge for my dive computer. I also like it because it will store dive data and allow the user to download to a computer.

As far as a band goes, I ALWAYS REMOVE THE STANDARD BAND AND REPLACE WITH A VELCRO BAND. The reason I do this is that if one of the band pins breaks and falls away I won't lose the whole watch. I learned this the hard way many, many, many years ago.

I'll second the above - because that's what I use as well, except for the band - I prefer "Waterborne" bands.

Omega seamaster. Didn't buy it as a specific dive watch, but I was working offshore and wanted and automatic watch as batteries will always die when you can't get to a shop. Took me 3 years to realise you can't justify the money for an omega or rolex, I just wanted that watch, and could afford to buy it at the time.

Now that I dive regularly it's my back up timer.

A timex keeps more accurate time and is much cheaper, but I love my omega and will probably pass it on in my will.

J.

Agree with almost everything thats already been said - especially replacing the band with velcro. I too lost a nice Seiko when a pin broke. I recently went to New York City and bought an "alleged" Rolex Submariner for $50. Looks nice but I bet it wouldn't take more than a splash from a hose to flood it. The real reason I wanted to add my 2 cents worth - Aqua Tech. $5-6 at Wal Mart. Rated good to 3 atm. I've had mine to 120' and no problems. It has the basic stopwatch feature and relatively big buttons which are good for dry gloves. The real deal - if you lose it - so what. Like anything else - I buy the expensive sunglasses and lose them or break them in a week. The cheap ones - had them for years

I bet Omega Seamaster. It is a nice watch like its name. I can't deny that Rolex Sea Dweller is the best dive watch and put it on "King" position, but Submariner is~~~~'NO.'

Seamaster is the better deal in the relatively lower price range than the Submariner that is the entry level model in Rolex line. Rolex Sea Dweller is definately in my wish list.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom