Preferred Brand of Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Seiko Kinetic dive watch. I love it, but I can't wear it with a wetsuit and gloves. However, if I forego the gloves, it fits.

hoosier:
I bet Omega Seamaster. It is a nice watch like its name. I can't deny that Rolex Sea Dweller is the best dive watch and put it on "King" position, but Submariner is~~~~'NO.'

Seamaster is the better deal in the relatively lower price range than the Submariner that is the entry level model in Rolex line. Rolex Sea Dweller is definately in my wish list.:wink:

I love my Sea Dweller, and although it doesn't keep very good time, it is a great watch. I always joke with my wife that if something should happen while I'm diving and I sink to the bottom of the ocean, she can always get my Rolex back and it will still work. It won't have the right time, but it'll still work :wink:

"I recently went to New York City and bought an "alleged" Rolex Submariner for $50. Looks nice but I bet it wouldn't take more than a splash from a hose to flood it."

It may say Rolex on it but it ain't no Rolex--it is a fake.

I think Rolex is a bit over rated, I would prefer Heuer, DOXA and Omega and maybe a few others but the Rolex is indeed a fine watch.

For those who do not know, there is a dive watch forum listed under equationoftime.com

N

You think so?

Rolex isn’t just watch. Like other member mentioned, it doesn’t keep very good time. It is still built with the traditional way, automatic design. Functional wise, I am sure that Timex DM is much better deal. But, people buy Rolex for their status, passion, artmanship.

Nemrod:
I think Rolex is a bit over rated, I would prefer Heuer, DOXA and Omega and maybe a few others but the Rolex is indeed a fine watch. N

Hi,

I have had two so far:

- St. Moritz Momentum M1: Great basic dive watch, good bezel, fine to read underwater, decent value (~$70). Velcro band: easy to don and adjust, works over a range of skin and exposure suits, secure against single pin breakage; BUT: the end of the velcro strap really needs a keeper, or it can get peeled open when snagged (especially as it gets older ... my wife dropped hers once, furtunately recovered by another diver with us).

- Swatch Scuba Fun Watch: Newly acquired last Christmas, this is one of those new "toy" bottom timer and depth guage watches. Comes in many styles, so ease of reading is highly variable. Worked just fine on last trip, saved one of our boat dives when computer died (we were prepared with table info, so time and depth are all we really needed). Rubber strap: long enough for range of exposure suit use, pin is installed like door hinge (pin goes through several loops on both band and watch, interleaved ... can't see how it could break in any simple way and let go). Reliability still open question, of course, being new. It IS cool!

My US$0.02, adjust for inflation over time.

Cheers,
Walter

Thanks for all the input but based on my limited budget, I decided to get a Luminox Navy SEALS series II dive watch. I should be getting it in a couple of days and I'll keep everyone posted on how it fairs against the sands of Iraq followed by how it performs when I get certified while on my R&R. Once again, thanks for all the input.

cudachaser:
My favorite,

Freestyle...plus if anything goes wrong with them even after warrenty...put it in a box and ship back to Freestyle with $15 and the send you a new watch

Joe

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the input. I have a Freestyle Hammerhead, and the bezel ratcheting seems a little funny, I may have bumped it. Might try the $15 dollar return.

I have a Tag 200 meter SS professional series. It's not a big as my friends Seamaster or his Submariner but it gets the job done. I wear it as my daily timepiece and as a backup to my computer. Nice watch.................a birthday gift 3 years ago. No regrets.

"Rolex isn’t just watch. Like other member mentioned, it doesn’t keep very good time. It is still built with the traditional way, automatic design. Functional wise, I am sure that Timex DM is much better deal. But, people buy Rolex for their status, passion, artmanship."

Not sure what you were saying when you quoted me Hoosier. I was not talking about a Timex. Heuer, DOXA and Oris and many others build mechanical autowinding and manual winding watches with equal quality to the Rolex. Rolex was just first to gain a large following in this country thus they are more widely known here than some other Swiss watches that are at least their equal. That is not to be taken as a bad statement against Rolex, they do make a fine watch. The Seiko Marine Master (japanese) and the DOXA Subs and the Heuer Aquagraph are all mechanical waches made with the same passion and detail as the Rolex and some are quite a bit rarer and come from very old companies that are quiet famous and equally legendary. Mechanical watches are the only way to go, quartz is good for a beater but real watches have gears and springs. N

I tend to agree with Nemrod. While Rolex does make a nice watch I don't think it is a better watch than many of the others mentioned above like Omega. Rolex is massed produced and far from unique. They are simple, fairly well made, but IMO overpriced for what you get. That said I am wearing one today from circa 1958 and own a few more.

Years ago Rolex was what we in America thought was the most prestigious watch out there. Now as other brands have become more main stream and the population becomes familiar with other brands Rolex is loosing there market share. Europe has long known about fine watches where the US is just coming around.

There are many many good watches out there. But if I am going to be paying that kind of money on a watch I don't want it to be that common (There are over 1,000,000.00 produced each year). I think brands like IWC, Panerai, Bell & Ross are a few examples of some great watches.

(Oh yeah. I'm in the fine watch business)

Back
Top Bottom