Predive Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on where the dump valve is, the BCD is still somewhat useable. Say the valve is at the bottom, then if the diver can straighten up and inflate a bit, the air will be trapped at the top of the BCD and they can make a controlled ascent to the surface. Same with a shoulder dump, just turn upside down and let the air pocket go to the top. Of course, you should definitely practice this in the pool before attempting it in open water.

I also agree with the above posters, if your BCD is keeping you from plummeting to the bottom, you need to remove weight!

Captain Larry's visual aid is a great starting point for pre-dive gear inspection. Take it a step further and do a functional check. Ensure that the over-pressure valve is working properly, that you can add air orally or using the power inflater, that your pull-dump cords aren't "trapped" under the rigging, and that the tank is strapped securely to the BCD. Apply the same kind of rigor to checking the rest of your dive equipment before getting wet. Then, once you get wet, do another quick check. All of this investment in time and energy helps minimize the probability of gear failure. Have fun and be safe out there...

Awesome responses guys! We learn from our experiences and passing wisdom on is what makes us better. I like the double bladder BCD but most rec diving BCDs are single including mine. In the ocean I carry the DAN safety sausage which can also add some lift and there are lift bags too. I am always enlightened listening to others and impressed with the creativeness. Be safe everyone!

I like the double bladder BCD but most rec diving BCDs are single including mine.

Sometimes more is not necessary better - Only more things to go wrong. Double Bladder BCD means two inflator hoses, quick connects, and inflator/deflator valves. Assuming an internal problem with a bladder - how quick to diagnose which side is faulty?

Back
Top Bottom