Predive Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejdirga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We all know that buddies check each other out before a dive. This usually results in two people looking at each other. Do more - specifically reach up and make sure the quick dump valves are screwed on tight on your buddy's BCD (and yours).

Last summer in Little Cayman I returned from a dive and as I got back on the boat the purge valve that is incorporated in my low pressure inflater "popped" off. Little Cayman is home of Bloody Bay Wall. If my inflater had popped while I was over the wall I hate to think of what my situation would have been.

Never be in that situation - check all of these valves every time you dive.

...that's why God created 'dual-bladder' wings...and why I dive 'dual bladder' wings...... :wink:

Of all the safety ideas I've been taught, the one I see most often omitted is a buddy check. Whether it's making sure your inflator hose is solid, or your dump valve cover is screwed on, or your LP inflator hose is connected . . . every part of a gear check is a way to prevent issues during a dive. As my husband has been known to say, if something isn't right on the surface, it's not going to get better underwater!

One tip you might find useful. We do it on all of our rental bcd's.
First make sure the dump valves, over pressure valve, and even the corrugated hose elbow, and the cap at the top of the corrugated hose are on tight. Next use a contrasting color Sharpie, (silver works good on black) and draw a straight line straight down the side of the dump valves to the bcd. Do the same on the elbows and the cap of the currogated hose. You don't have to go far onto the BCD, just a 1/8" or so. Before your dive, when you are assembling your gear, or at any time you handle your BCD make it a habit to scan the marks to be sure that they are lined up. This will quickly tell you if something is coming loose. This also works great on the screw-on second stage regulator covers.
This has saved a lot of lost parts and lost dives.

Be Safe

Larry

If my inflater had popped while I was over the wall I hate to think of what my situation would have been.

A loss of a BC is not be a bad thing. If a diver really cannot think of how they would respond to a failed BC situation, then they were diving beyond their limits.

In your example - How about

- Finning to the surface
- Ascending with your buddy
- Climb up the wall
- Dropping a little weight
- Using a lift bag for buoyancy
- Using a safety sausage for buoyancy
- Removing your BC and using it like a lift bag
- Using dry suit for buoyancy
etc...

We have local divers here in socal who don't even use BC's.

Dwayne

True, BC problems are indicated in many death reports, but they are almost diver error in cause. If you can't get to the surface with a failed BC, you're overweighted.

First make sure the dump valves, over pressure valve, and even the corrugated hose elbow, and the cap at the top of the corrugated hose are on tight. Next use a contrasting color Sharpie, (silver works good on black) and draw a straight line straight down the side of the dump valves to the bcd. Do the same on the elbows and the cap of the currogated hose. You don't have to go far onto the BCD, just a 1/8" or so. Before your dive, when you are assembling your gear, or at any time you handle your BCD make it a habit to scan the marks to be sure that they are lined up. This will quickly tell you if something is coming loose. This also works great on the screw-on second stage regulator covers.

Be Safe

Larry

That is good advice.

True, BC problems are indicated in many death reports, but they are almost diver error in cause. If you can't get to the surface with a failed BC, you're overweighted.
I might add that many death reports included divers who did make it to the surface, but encountered other problems and still drowned. While BCs and OOAs were indicated in some of these, diver error was also often involved as every diver really needs to know the procedures to escape such risks and be able to perform them under stress. My home bud and I drill on...
Orally inflating our BCs,

Simulated weight dropping at the surface (actually doing so might be preferable in some situations, but our only practice pit is 84 ft deep with a silt bottom)

As well as ascending and exiting together always.​
I'm not a very good diver, and he doesn't seem to take this seriously, so we work at all this even more.

Be Safe

Larry

If you're going to do this, be careful about doing it to new gear. Some screw-on fittings break in a bit and fully tight could move over the course of a few uses. You'll still know if it is moving either way, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom