Predictors for the development of temporomandibular disorders in scuba divers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
[Forum hx of TMJ posts --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/search.php?searchid=21771099]

“J Oral Rehabil. 2014 Apr 28. doi: 10.1111/joor.12178. [Epub ahead of print]

Predictors for the development of temporomandibular disorders in scuba divers.

Lobbezoo F1, van Wijk AJ, Klingler MC, Ruiz Vicente E, van Dijk CJ, Eijkman MA.

Author information 1Department of Oral Kinesiology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam (ACTA), University of Amsterdam and VU University Amsterdam, MOVE Research Institute Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Abstract
The aim was to determine predictors for the development of complaints of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) in a large sample of Dutch scuba divers who were free of any TMD complaints before they started diving actively. Five-hundred and thirty-six scuba divers (mean ± SD age = 40·4 ± 11·9 years; 34·1% women) completed a specifically developed questionnaire, either online or on paper. Stepwise forward logistic regression analysis was performed to predict the presence of TMD pain, with several potential risk factors as predictors. Four hundred and eighty-five of the 536 respondents were free of any TMD pain before they started diving actively. In this sample, TMD pain was present in 214 persons (44·1%). Four predictors contributed significantly to the presence of TMD pain, viz., clenching (OR = 2·466), warm water (OR = 1·685), biting on the mouthpiece (OR = 1·598), and the quality rating of the mouthpiece (OR = 0·887, that is, a higher rating means a smaller odds of having TMD pain). TMD pain is a common complaint among scuba divers who were free of such complaints before they started diving actively. Clenching, biting on the mouthpiece, and a low rating of the mouthpiece are predictors for the presence of TMD pain in scuba divers, while diving in cold water serves as a protective factor for TMD pain.”

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks, Doc. Good to have that confirmed. It's a big reason I'm a fan of moldable mouthpieces, like the inexpensive Trident R530, or the more pricey SeaCure.

Interesting. I do most of my diving in cold water, but I clearly clench on the mouthpiece, because I chew through them on a fairly regular basis. I've developed horrible TMJ problems -- a SeaCure does seem to be helping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom