Pre-dive rituals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving with a lot of strange characters this summer. I will not mention any names... however, I have noted that a lot of these characters have strange pre-dive rituals that they do before getting in the water. I've also gotten some good ideas from these folks. What are the rituals you have seen?

I know a guy who puts his face in the water before descending and makes this noise which sounds like Muddy Waters singing "Got My Mojo Workin'" That's the best way I can explain the sound except maybe gargling. :D

A lot of my open water dives are with one dive buddy who owns his boat, and it's often just the two of us out in the Gulf. We came up with a pre dive checklist to insure we are ready to backroll off the side. We go down this list once we've strapped on our tanks and have done everything but don gloves and masks. You can laminate it and keep it in a pocket or somewhere else that's handy.

1. Dive flag.
2. Dive plan.
3. Gas on.
4. Check all regulators and submersible pressure gauges.
5. Inflation as required. (Flotation, drysuit)
6. Computers on and set.
7. Lights check.
8. Special equipment (as required). (Cameras, spearguns, tie-in line, etc.)
9. Weight belt on.
10. Knife on.
11. Gloves on.
12. Fins on.
13. Mask on.

Safe divin' to ya,

Sandworm 40:
A lot of my open water dives are with one dive buddy who owns his boat, and it's often just the two of us out in the Gulf.
Safe divin' to ya,

Leaving no one on the boat is never "safe diving."

ItsBruce:
Actually, he may be acclimating his eyes to the salt water. Once the sting goes away, he is good for half an hour to an hour of "immunity" to the salt.

It sounds more like he is clearing his sinuses. We give him a wide berth in the water. :wink:

Cuss myself for not replacing the strap on my fins, procede in zip-tieing my rig together. Proceed with fun.

I know someone from Fill Express who has a 2 day pre-dive ritual involving meditation, and drinking gallons of water.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Cuss myself for not replacing the strap on my fins, procede in zip-tieing my rig together. Proceed with fun.

Uh, you forgot the Red Bull (and the "stop the Integrated Secondary from leaking").

Back
Top Bottom