pre-dive checks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been trying to figure out the best way to get my pre-dive checks down as a routine..... So the general consensus I see is "make the same check in the same way every dive"..... How did you folks do it? Especially those that don't get to dive every week. What methods did you use to make it "muscle memory" so that you are less likely to forget things?

Everyone is different, and it is important to adopt a routine.... you get to decide what works best for you... but once you find what works, make it an unwavering ritual.

I shore dive 99% of of the time. With that in mind, here is what works for me (and like others, I visualize my gear correctly assembled rather than use a "checklist"):

1. To avoid forgetting gear: I load my gear the exact same way every time. I use a large Rubbermaid bin to carry everything except my tanks. I load things in the bin in the reverse order that I will be putting them on (so that each item comes out of the bin in the order I need it while gearing up), so:
->weightbelt, mask, fins are in the bottom,
->computer, compass, knife on top of them,
->wetsuit, booties, gloves
->regulator, pony regulator
->bp/w on top

2. To avoid forgetting to turn on tank valve, attach hoses, check gas amount, etc.: I gear-up the exact same way, every single time. I try not to talk at all, focus, and work methodically. If someone has a question or needs help with their gear, I ask them to wait a couple minutes until I've finished my gear setup. If a stranger comes up and strikes up a conversation while I'm setting up my gear, I stop completely until they leave, then resume.

3. Pre-dive buddy check and self gear check: Is a head-to-toe, front-to-back visual inspection. I visually confirm how much air each diver has, and show them my spg.

Best wishes.

For getting gear to the dive site, I think a written checklist is probably the best strategy. At least, I have tried a number of other ones, including having specific places where gear is kept, and loading the same way every time, and I still forget stuff. If I eventually give up and use a written checklist and STILL forget stuff, then that doesn't work, either :)

But at the dive site, I use the GUE EDGE mnemonic for dive planning (Goals/sequence/course; Unified team (who does what); special equipment; exposure (depth and time); deco; gas; environment). The gear check is done at the end and is head-to-toe and done in concert with the rest of the team, so if I somehow skip something (like dry suit inflation) somebody else will notice and correct me. This strategy works, but it isn't foolproof (is anything?)

I store my gear in a suitcase with rollers, and weights and tanks separately. LeadTurn_SD's "avoid forgetting gear" is a good approach. I'll try it out this weekend after I buy a big rubbermaid bin (hopefully with rollers if there's such a thing :D)

When gearing up, I don't talk to anyone or be distracted till I'm finish setting everything up. If someone interrupts me, I stop completely or tell them to give me a couple of minutes. I then mentally do a pre-dive on myself from head to toe, front to back, and simulate descending/ascending.

Very few buddies I've met actually do a buddy check. I always insist and use the BWRAF - Bruce Willis Rocks All Films.

Pet peeves? - Buddies not telling you how much air they have.

For getting gear to the dive site, I think a written checklist is probably the best strategy. At least, I have tried a number of other ones, including having specific places where gear is kept, and loading the same way every time, and I still forget stuff. If I eventually give up and use a written checklist and STILL forget stuff, then that doesn't work, either :)
Earlier on I always drove to the boat with the gear in the car. I made a list including everything I could possibly need gear wise. I sealed it in a sheet and taped it to the top of a plastic chest large enough to haul everything after a dive as it was waterproof. I loaded it the night before using the list.
But at the dive site, I use the GUE EDGE mnemonic for dive planning (Goals/sequence/course; Unified team (who does what); special equipment; exposure (depth and time); deco; gas; environment). The gear check is done at the end and is head-to-toe and done in concert with the rest of the team, so if I somehow skip something (like dry suit inflation) somebody else will notice and correct me. This strategy works, but it isn't foolproof (is anything?)
As for the pre dice check it will take practice and a lot of repetition, use whatever it may be as a trigger but as mentioned top to bottom or whatever else it may be just so it never changes..... that's the important part

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I travel a lot and participate in a number of hobbies that are gear intensive so getting stuff to the dive isn't so much my issue. This post was primarily driven by the fact that 2 out of my 3 dives while on vacation I forgot to turn on my computer. Well, once I forgot to check it and it had timed out and the other time I forgot to turn it on.

Unfortunately the BWRAF mnemonic doesn't really cover that and my console has the SPG on the backside of the computer so I don't see them both at the same time. Thanks again for the input. I appreciate all the info I've been getting from scubaboard.

This post was primarily driven by the fact that 2 out of my 3 dives while on vacation I forgot to turn on my computer. Well, once I forgot to check it and it had timed out and the other time I forgot to turn it on.
FYI, most modern dive computers have a user-selectable setting that enables them to automatically turn on when the computer hits the water (via multiple water contacts on the device).

Are you watching your depth as you descend? If so, you would notice right away (four feet below the surface) that your computer was off.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I travel a lot and participate in a number of hobbies that are gear intensive so getting stuff to the dive isn't so much my issue. This post was primarily driven by the fact that 2 out of my 3 dives while on vacation I forgot to turn on my computer. Well, once I forgot to check it and it had timed out and the other time I forgot to turn it on.

Unfortunately the BWRAF mnemonic doesn't really cover that and my console has the SPG on the backside of the computer so I don't see them both at the same time. Thanks again for the input. I appreciate all the info I've been getting from scubaboard.

Actually, the BWRAF should cover computers and other miscellaneous equipment. The "F" as in final check is where you can consider the everything else you need for that particular dive. When I do the check with students and new(ish) divers, I cover in F:
  • Are your fins with you and not still in your bag?
  • Computer ready?
  • If taking photos, is your camera on you?
  • If applicable, do you have your spare mask, torch etc?

Actually, the BWRAF should cover computers and other miscellaneous equipment. The "F" as in final check is where you can consider the everything else you need for that particular dive. When I do the check with students and new(ish) divers, I cover in F:
  • Are your fins with you and not still in your bag?
  • Computer ready?
  • If taking photos, is your camera on you?
  • If applicable, do you have your spare mask, torch etc?
Yeah, I always remember "final" as "fins". Maybe that's my problem.

FYI, most modern dive computers have a user-selectable setting that enables them to automatically turn on when the computer hits the water (via multiple water contacts on the device).

Are you watching your depth as you descend? If so, you would notice right away (four feet below the surface) that your computer was off.

Thanks for the information. I have an older computer that still works well but if I wait more than an hour (or possibly two) from the time I turn it on to hit the water it doesn't automatically start. Once it did that and the second dive I completely forgot.

As for checking my depth, I usually do so after about 10 feet or so but at that point it's too late to turn the computer on. It must be turned on above surface. I simply need to be more diligent about remembering to check it right before I go under.

How did you folks do it? Especially those that don't get to dive every week. What methods did you use to make it "muscle memory" so that you are less likely to forget things?

My BC and regulator arrive at the site in one tote. The first thing I do is mount them to a cylinder. I then flip the tote over and use it as a table. I then lay out all that I need; keys, lights, defogged mask & snorkel, knife, lights(s), DSMB, catch bag, fins with gloves in foot pockets and anything else unique to the dive. You can then scan the layout patting yourself down visualizing yourself as ready. In the process we will do a conscientious valve check. If I'm with my wife one of us will call out that the valves are checked.

We then suit up, donn weights and rigs then clip off all of the items remaining on the inverted tote. When that's all gone it's time to go dive. Then we toss the tote(S) into the back of the van and close the pre-locked door.

Another method that may help is to pre-gather what you need for that dive. Load a tote(s) with what you will need for that day's dive(s). Leave all of the back-ups and claptrap in the dive bag. That makes it easy to not end up at the water's edge with 2 LH gloves! This largely happens when we dive the same configurations and the drying rack is still loaded.

Be wary of distractions and be as methodical as you can.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom