pre-dive checks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been trying to figure out the best way to get my pre-dive checks down as a routine and TSandM's thread here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...sic-safety-procedures-have-you-let-slide.html

has gotten me thinking even more about it.

So the general consensus I see is "make the same check in the same way every dive". Being new, I've been trying to figure out how to do this. Whether it be a checklist I put on the back of a slate or somewhere else, or just practice at home by myself a thousand times.

How did you folks do it? Especially those that don't get to dive every week. What methods did you use to make it "muscle memory" so that you are less likely to forget things?

Some people are list-makers. They'll write down a checklist of things and go through each item in a deliberate way.

Some people like to do a head-to-toe check.

For pre-dive checks, I'll spend about 30 seconds visualizing the dive. I imagine using each piece of gear...and as I visualize "using" it, I'll check to make sure that I have the actual item and it is in working order. I do the same for my buddy's rig.

To ensure that all necessary dive gear makes it to the dive site, I make it a habit to store things together and always in the same place. Rubbermaid plastic bins are excellent for this. The bins help with post-dive rinsing, too.

If I had to drive several hours to the dive site, I would certainly use checklists more often. At present, I live one mile from my usual dive site. It takes 10 minutes total to drive back to my apartment, pick up a forgotten item, and return to the dive site. :D

Some good points. As far as the safety check, I used to use the acronyms-BWRAF, etc., but after a lot of dives now, I just know all the things to check to make sure everything is ready to go--and I have the worst memory in the world--maybe that's one reason I try to dive at least every week or 2. As far as packing stuff up for a dive I have 3 situations: Going on a trip--if flying, take the minimum you need. If driving make sure everything is in the car & bin. For diving from our house just set stuff ready at the door and don't worry too much if I forget anything--it's also in the house.

At first I used a checklist, since then I also just use memory and visualization as well as a strict pre dive routine that has become second nature too me. I also teach my students the importence of a routine predive ritual too prevent shortcuts and too make sure everything is covered, "Chance favors the prepared mind"....

I think 'head to toe' real quick------then jump in....

i visualize also
gear-up while i pack up
i try to keep stuff organized into groups:
mask,fins,SNORKLE,computer-one bag
bc,regs,save a dive stuff-one bag
hood ,gloves,boots,wetsuit-last bag
tanks and weights in car 1st
the more ya go-the easier it is!!!!
have fun
yaeg

We have all our gear stored and hanging in the one area. All gear gets packed into a bag, so its pretty easy to see if something is still hanging up that needs to be packed. Once at the site, gear is always assembled in the same order, before kitting up in wetsuits etc. The main thing to remember is to take a couple of moments to stop and have a good look at your gear, and think about the dive ahead and what you need. It's easy to get distracted when chatting to other divers and in the rush to get wet

head to toe then back up again if I'm just going for a quick dive.

then go through the motions of diving... i have forgotten random things like a towel, hat etc... so now i think "before, during and after"

I don't have that much gear, so for holidays I just take everything :p

Some people are list-makers. They'll write down a checklist of things and go through each item in a deliberate way.

Some people like to do a head-to-toe check.

For pre-dive checks, I'll spend about 30 seconds visualizing the dive. I imagine using each piece of gear...and as I visualize "using" it, I'll check to make sure that I have the actual item and it is in working order. I do the same for my buddy's rig.

To ensure that all necessary dive gear makes it to the dive site, I make it a habit to store things together and always in the same place. Rubbermaid plastic bins are excellent for this. The bins help with post-dive rinsing, too.

If I had to drive several hours to the dive site, I would certainly use checklists more often. At present, I live one mile from my usual dive site. It takes 10 minutes total to drive back to my apartment, pick up a forgotten item, and return to the dive site. :D

Good post.

When I was a kid and we had about 3 pieces of gear which stayed on the boat in most cases never an issue. Especially considering that I was invinceble back then.

In later years, I made checklists and laminated them. A packing list and a pre dive list.

Eventually, I started using the "Bubble Sweep". Visualize my gear from head to toe in use.

I think going by the acronym BWRAF is really useful to ensure everything is covered in the pre-dive check.

To prevent equipment and procedures being forgotten in the period leading to the dive, do a BWRAF check well in advance. So if you're not sure if you've packed everything into your car or onto the diveboat, go through the list in your mind and make sure everything you need is in your bag or trunk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom