Prayer is useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825:
Ah, gotcha.

Now as far as intelligent design goes, I have always believed that our creation was via evolution but that it did not rule out a creator utilizing that as a method. My problem with intelligent design is that some religious communities are trying to force it to be taught in schools, and since it brings religion directly into the mix, it does not belong in public schools where no single faith should be taught, if you believe in a separation of church and state.

Except that macro-evolution (one life form morphing into another over time) does not allow for any outside influence; it's all "just happening". Macro-evolution fails scientific scrutiny just as "ID" does; it is not being observed, it has not been observed, it is not testable and repeatable. It is assumed, on faith, to have happened because of the fossil record ... which by the way is completely absent the "interim life forms" that should be abundant if evolution was in fact occuring or had occured. ID (God or not) simply claims the reason there is no abundance of fossil interim life forms is that all was created rather than a big accidental, messy, just happened.

Finally, the "separation of church and state" occurs nowhere in the US Constitution.

Lisa0825:
Hey, now.... YOU are the one who brought up intelligent design.... did ya really think that would slip by unnoticed?LOL eyebrow

Passing the buck!...Tag you're it!!:D

It is difficult to catch love in a jar.

I still believe in love, though.

Hemlon:
And who gets the priviledge of choosing that "one true God?" Is it you or is it the 10 year old child in China? What if it's not the same choice?

What makes your God the right one and the Chinese child's God the false one?

Well let's see: if we as a society accept "my" God as the one true God then pretty much everyone is allowed to quietly believe or not believe; it's between God and that person. Fortunately when a country worships the one true God the believers in the false god, or no god at all, are pretty much left alone.

However, if we chose a false god, or no god at all, then all of society will be forced to worship that god (under penalty of death ... like in many countries that currently worship a false god) or if they worship any god (false or not) they'll be punished (which also happens in many countries)

I'll leave it to you to decide which countries worship false gods and which hold that there is no god at all (except for perhaps the tyrant currently in power)

Green_Manelishi:
Well let's see: if we as a society accept "my" God as the one true God then pretty much everyone is allowed to quietly believe or not believe; it's between God and that person. Fortunately when a country worships the one true God the believers in the false god, or no god at all, are pretty much left alone.

However, if we chose a false god, or no god at all, then all of society will be forced to worship that god (under penalty of death ... like in many countries that currently worship a false god) or if they worship any god (false or not) they'll be punished (which also happens in many countries)

I'll leave it to you to decide which countries worship false gods and which hold that there is no god at all (except for perhaps the tyrant currently in power)

So it's all based on the laws of the country in question???

Does that make sense??

Green_Manelishi:
Finally, the "separation of church and state" occurs nowhere in the US Constitution.

I could show you numerous quotes from the founding fathers relating to this prinicple, the same founding fathers that people use to try to prove a religious basis to the country. But I know from experience that it is futile to attempt to debate this principle because no agreement is ever reached.

Rick Inman:
It is difficult to catch love in a jar.

I still believe in love, though.

That is sweet....but we are talking about someone people pray to...expect to grant them serenity and happiness.

Love is different, however an emotion or feeling.

It seems to me, people who believe in a god would not compare it to love. Faith perhaps, god though, not sure. I am not a believer in god so I can't answer that.

Green_Manelishi:

In any case, GM, it's not my intent to argue with you or persuade you. Each person must follow their own journey in life.

I wish you happiness and peace in your journey.

00scuba:
It seems to me, people who believe in a god would not compare it to love. Faith perhaps, god though, not sure. I am not a believer in god so I can't answer that.
God is Love.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom