Prayer is useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love is NOT an emotion or feeling. Emotions and feelings change. The idea that our culture has chosen to view love as an emotion or feeling has shifted a marriage from that of a Holy Union to a mere contract that can end because someone's emotions and feelings changed.

Lisa0825:
I could show you numerous quotes from the founding fathers relating to this prinicple, the same founding fathers that people use to try to prove a religious basis to the country. But I know from experience that it is futile to attempt to debate this principle because no agreement is ever reached.

As could I. You show me yours, I'll show you mine :D

And FWIW quoting anyone or any source, out of context is irrelevant. Otherwise I could suggest suicide via "Judas hanged himself." "Go now and do likewise."

Hemlon:
In any case, GM, it's not my intent to argue with you or persuade you. Each person must follow their own journey in life.

I wish you happiness and peace in your journey.

Thank you. As do I wish you. I am eagerly looking forward to arriving at my destination.

Rick Inman:
God is Love.

Well at this point I guess we can agree to disagree. Love is a feeling, an emotion...to me. God is something people use to make themselves feel better about dying or it gives them reasons for unexplained things. I look at my children, I feel love...the feeling I would do anything for them to protect them, encourage them, teach them, respect them, be their Mom. To me, a concept of god is great for those who want that and believe, I feel ok about when its my time to die.... it will be a lot like before I was born.

Firebrand:
Love is NOT an emotion or feeling. Emotions and feelings change. The idea that our culture has chosen to view love as an emotion or feeling has shifted a marriage from that of a Holy Union to a mere contract that can end because someone's emotions and feelings changed.

Well, I feel that love is ever changing....in all relationships it changes, progresses and takes on different forms of love, and I think it needs to. Knowing how to accept the changes in it and differences makes it work or not.

00scuba:
Well at this point I guess we can agree to disagree. Love is a feeling, an emotion...to me. God is something people use to make themselves feel better about dying or it gives them reasons for unexplained things. I look at my children, I feel love...the feeling I would do anything for them to protect them, encourage them, teach them, respect them, be their Mom. To me, a concept of god is great for those who want that and believe, I feel ok about when its my time to die.... it will be a lot like before I was born.

Well said!

Without God, my life is insignificant. That is not my reason for faith, but I believe it to be a factor which compels many.

BIGSAGE136:
I have a friend who says the Mandelbrot Set is pure coincedence!

My wife bakes great Mandelbrot! However, I like my Set harder, and she likes her Set softer.

Oh, about the thread...

Many people believe that G-d is like a servant. They ask for somethng and they get it, then there is a G-d, that is, they believe. If they don't get it, they "fire" Him, or in other words, don't believe.

G-d hears prayer; it you do not get what you ask for, it is simply that He knows what is best for you, whether you like it or not. G-d is immutable, unchanging, first, last, and always.

And yes, death is a part of life. So is sickness and health, prosperity and poverty, good and bad, rational and irrational, etc.

perhaps we could turn the tables and say that those who believe in a god "don't get it". That this is our life...and we should concentrate on the now and what we can do to make it a better place, treat people kind and respectful because that is the right thing to do. Not to make sure there is a place for you later.

It is an interesting topic....and I am sure most feel very strongly one way or the other...which has to do with an experience, childhood, respected people in their lives.

Perhaps when each of our days come to an end...we will have the answer....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom