Practicing Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver:
Plus, my experience is that in most emergencies one doesn't know at the beginning whether they are going to be able to solve the problem or not. Emergencies have a way of growing exponentially. So, knowing there is another active resource at hand helps immensely.
Also, sometimes there is just a feeling of "something is wrong". So its good to signal to the team that you are feeling uneasy, but unsure of what the problem really is. It may be fixable with a couple of extra eyes looking out for you.

TSandM:
How does one assist with a buoyancy problem? If it's a beginning diver and the person is rocketing to the surface, I'll try to catch them and slow them down. If it's an experienced diver who appears to be having buoyancy issues, I'm much more likely to watch them closely, figuring they'll either solve it themselves (which they ought to know how to do) or, if there's a malfunction, THEY'LL SIGNAL ME AND LET ME KNOW.
We expect different behavior from experienced divers than we do new and/or inexperienced divers... but we don't always get what we expect.

An important aspect is skill evaluation when diving with new (to you) divers. Probably best to drop all assumptions on first dates.

In fact, first dives (with someone new) require a different skillset as well as mindset. Probably a good thread topic.

redrover:
Do people really argue against practicing? Did you mean to say, don’t practice?
Nope, I meant people who argue against it. Such as "There's no need to practice, just go have fun!"

Get TSandM to tell you about her experience overseas with s-drills. If I remember correctly some instructors told her that sharing air is ONLY to be done in emergencies. That would be "arguing against practicing."

ArcticDiver: I appreciate where you are coming from, but if someone I don't dive with regularly started 'helping' when I'm not ready to have them do so, I would at a minimum be displeased. At worst they'd make the situation first.

I think one thing that you can do is to discuss at the beginning of the dive how to signal. And I think you can be somewhat generic. I.E. this is what I'll do if I have an equipment problem. This is how I'll signal you you have a problem. etc.

I find for most new dive buddies I'm happy if they are close enough that they'd be able to provide air in an emergency and follow the dive plan we agreed on.
If on top of that they have good buoyancy skills, monitor not just their own air but also mine and are willing to practice an air share at the beginning of the dive, I'm downright impressed :D
But even with all that, I still think it takes time to work out how to dive well with someone, though I'd love to hear tips about how to shortcut that process :)

Uncle Pug:
Easy: DIRf. :D

Seriously.

Standardized training with a standardized mindset to go along with the standardized skill set.

We're bringing in Dan MacKay in March and I'm signed up

Seriously :D

I have yet to be skunked diving with someone who has been through a DIRf.

They may not have the skill set down pat and the mindset may not be fully formed but their eyes have been opened.

The biggest problem is that all they want to do is practice skills so that they can get the stain of "Provisional" off of their card. :D

ArcticDiver:
In both cases the other divers hung out close by and obserrved but did nothing to affirmatively assist. What happened to me I've seen happen to others in other places, regardless of their prior training or team/solo diving orientation.

I posted elsewhere about the DM who was surrounded by divers but no one offered to help and he was so busy handling the problem he never thought to ask for help.

Lesson: When diving with strangers, or those you don't know very well you must assertively let them know you are there to help.

Artic Diver, that’s a good question for me, glad you brought that up.
I’m the independent sort and try to solve problems for myself, and then ask for help if I really have to.

So, in your cases, did the other divers not ask if you were ok? I can see me, the independent little cuss, neglecting to ask for help when I could probably use some. But if asked, “OK?” I’d say “not so good.”
I know at times it seemed clear to me I could use help and it wasn’t offered, usually by the people that know my independence streak:D , and I just struggled bravely on. A little light just popped up over my head reading your post asking, “Did I ask for help, hmmmm?” thanks for showing me the light.

Would that be the proper signal, not so good, in this case meaning help please? And, as a response to, “OK?” and, to open the conversation if not asked yet?

Great thread U.P.

I'm partially in the same camp as TSandM - Skills dives are some of the most exillerating dives for me... unfortunatley I rarely find another diver who agrees. I advertised at my LDS for divers who wanted to get together and practice skills ... no response during the 4 months that I tried getting it going... not even a couple of new OW students whose instructor recommended they join me to help get their skills together. So I try to increase my task loading during dives at every opportunity to help prepare me for being a good buddy. Lately it's been doubles and a camera doing extra shallow dives (20 minutes of today's dive was in 8ft or less of water ... ) Do I enjoy seeing the fish and reef in clear blue water? Of course! Do I enjoy challenging myself to become a better more aware diver? Of course! Both sides of the coin are fun for me because both get me out in the water. The challenge and the experience are equal factors in what makes a dive fun for me.

Aloha, Tim
(still diving under the "stain" of provisional :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom