Power Train Warranties...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok so I bought a nice, 2007 Impala, 31,000 miles, pretty sweet upgrade for me from the old F150 with 367,000 - but any used car includes waiting for the other shoe to crash.

Is a clock spring covered in a power train warranty? I am clueless and it's an expensive job. Who do I ask, whom I can believe...?

This warranty runs out in April, and I think an extended warranty on the power train might be a good idea. There are many offered of course. Anyone know if any are good...??
thanks!

Clocksprings are part of the air bag system. Would not expect that to be covered under powertrain which is typically engine, transmission, drive axles, etc.

I seem to be having periodic challenges with cruise control, air bag, and remote unlocking. My mechanic suggested clock spring, which I have never head of. He can't get to it until after his vacation, so it really may be a month - and I hope the dealer will help, even tho sold As-Is.

What about buying an extended warranty for catastrophic failures...?

The clock spring is the flat cable that connects the steering wheel to the steering column. It is wound 'round and 'round on it's edge, hence it looks like a clock spring. So anything that has a steering wheel control switch uses the clock spring cable. Common failure on that series of car. The steering wheel has to come off. Yes, it takes special tools and you'll be handling an explosive device if you want to try it yourself.

DC

And extended warranties are generally a great profit center for the insurance companies that sell them. Usually not such a bargain for the buyer.

DC

This car also has many issues that have to be resolved by reprogramming the powertrain control module and the body control module. Sometimes covered under warranty, sometimes not. Call the nearest Chevy dealer and read them the VIN. Ask if there are any advisories or bulletins.

DC

Also, buying extended warranties typically have conditions like taking xxx amount of months or miles before they go into effect to prevent them having to pay for pre-existing conditions.

We called the Chevy dealer here with the Vin when I bought it. Under power train warranty until April.

Consumer Reports and many other sources advise against any extended warranties, especially cars. I find them a good buy on laptops and cameras at times, depending on details: Walmart sells pretty good ones at low prices that cover breakage, etc. Just depends. I think they hope most customers will forget or not bother.

A $3,000 & up failure on a car is a bigger deal. None of the sites I've found will quote prices without my contact info. Anyone know what decent power train coverage would cost - say for 5 years?

Did you happen to finance the car? My credit union offered a pretty decent extended warranty when I bought my last truck. Most of the ones that solicit you through the mail or other offers after the fact aren't worth the money IMO.

Nah, paid for it. That was the first shoe to crash. Hehe, they called me the next day to ask me to rewrite the check as I'd made it for 1/10th the total. Ooops. I let them type the next one.

Back
Top Bottom