Power inflator stuck on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've seen many instances where an inflator is stuck "on" and inflates the BC automatically. I was watching a guy try to dis-assemble the standard hose from the standard inflator this week and he was having a tough time. Not sure if it was corroded or what, but I began to think that being unable to easily unconnect the inflator hose underwater could be dangerous.

I personally use an AIR 2 most of the time and I have heard many people claim they are unsafe for deeper or technical diving. I find the hose connection fitting for the AIR 2 mechanism VERY easy to attach and detach. Does anyone consider that to be a significant "plus" with regard to safety for the Air 2?

Yes, it's a plus, but I personally do not recommend the Air2 or the Air Source, which is similar to the Air2. I have been diving SCUBA for a long time. I have heard a lot of complaints about teh Air2 from peopel who own them. And from a safety perspective, I think the Air2 is not as safe as a truly independent Octopus with a regular sized hose. Sure, in theory, the Air2 works. But in an emergency situation under difficult conditions, the Air2 adds a level of complexity that one simply does nto ahve with a regualor Octpus.

I know that Air2 fans will reply to this post with angry defenses of the Air2. That's fine. You asked for opinions and this is my opinion.

Let's extend that train of thought a little bit. Your inflator sticks, and you can quickly disconnect the LP hose from your inflator. Great! You've solved the immeidate problem, but now you no longer have a back-up reg for you or your buddy. So no, I would not consider the ability to quickly disconnect one of them a "plus". But I would consider practicing connecting/disconnecting the pressurized LP hose from your inflator until you are proficient a "plus" :)

I must be hungover but why would a reg not work by unhooking an lp hose from a bc?

Let's extend that train of thought a little bit. Your inflator sticks, and you can quickly disconnect the LP hose from your inflator. Great! You've solved the immeidate problem, but now you no longer have a back-up reg for you or your buddy. So no, I would not consider the ability to quickly disconnect one of them a "plus". But I would consider practicing connecting/disconnecting the pressurized LP hose from your inflator until you are proficient a "plus" :)

I guess that is true, except for me. I have a pony bottle (and usually no buddy) so loosing the ability to breath from the Air 2 isn't much of an issue.

I just wonder if people think the ability to disconnect as much of a "plus". I know lotsa people dislike the Air 2 for a variety of reasons.

The problem is being unable to perform the disconection. Standard connect or Scubapro's custom version - there both subject to corrosion. From a techincal point, both are designed to deflate faster than inflate, hence you hold it high, push the power deflate and perform the disconnect. Tech divers dont like the Scubapro setup because you puting to many eggs in one basket and may not be able to fix the problem under water. If my power inflater gets stuck and I have to disconnect it, it is the only failure. I can manually inflate the wing or use my dry suit. I willl always have a second source to breath off of.

Phil

I have seen std LPI connectors that were difficult to operate because the schrader valve was just a bit loose. Of course there is a special tool to tighten them but the job can be done with a small, flat tip screwdriver. If it is still hard to detach, the DSS hose hat should take care of the problem.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=45

The air2 connector does not use a schrader valve and is larger so easier to grab. The older ones with the knurled finish are easier to grip than the newer ones with the smooth finish.

I'm not at all sure that the ease of removing the LP inflator hose is related all that much to what it's connected to. I have two singles wings and a doubles wing, with different inflator hoses on the different regs, and the ease of removing the hose varies hugely. Getting the LP inflator hose off my singles wing is a bear; getting it off my doubles wing is easy, even in dry gloves.

I think some connections are just stickier than others. That said, my LDS showed me the other day some new hoses from XS Scuba that don't have Schrader valves in them. They pop on without pulling the collar back, and come off with very little effort. I think I might replace both of my LP inflators hoses with them, with, of course, Tobin's hose hats as well.

Back
Top Bottom