Power inflator stuck on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally use an AIR 2 most of the time and I have heard many people claim they are unsafe for deeper or technical diving. I find the hose connection fitting for the AIR 2 mechanism VERY easy to attach and detach. Does anyone consider that to be a significant "plus" with regard to safety for the Air 2?

If I was on a deep/technical dive,had a runaway inflator and could not disconnect the hose then I would just shut down the right post.

I'm not at all sure that the ease of removing the LP inflator hose is related all that much to what it's connected to. I have two singles wings and a doubles wing, with different inflator hoses on the different regs, and the ease of removing the hose varies hugely. Getting the LP inflator hose off my singles wing is a bear; getting it off my doubles wing is easy, even in dry gloves.

I think some connections are just stickier than others. .

I agree, it seems that there is poor standardization with respect to the standard inflators/hose connection. Have you ever tied an AIR 2 hose connector? It really IS much easier to manipulate than all the standard ones.

The standard disconnect seems to be designed to be cheap and simple, but not user friendly. The design seems identical to what it was 25 years ago. It really could be improved in my mind.

Is the hose on an inflater octo so tough that you can't collapse it by putting a tight radius in it.

I've actually handled the XS Scuba hoses. I'm pretty sure Tobin's hose hats would fit.

I've seen many instances where an inflator is stuck "on" and inflates the BC automatically. I was watching a guy try to dis-assemble the standard hose from the standard inflator this week and he was having a tough time. Not sure if it was corroded or what, but I began to think that being unable to easily unconnect the inflator hose underwater could be dangerous.
I keep hearing about that problem, but I've never had it happen or seen it happen.
I personally use an AIR 2 most of the time and I have heard many people claim they are unsafe for deeper or technical diving. I find the hose connection fitting for the AIR 2 mechanism VERY easy to attach and detach. Does anyone consider that to be a significant "plus" with regard to safety for the Air 2?
Unsafe for deeper dives? If memory serves, Rich Pyle (pre-ECCR) used Air-IIs down below 500 feet.

I took a look at the XS Scuba EZQD hoses, and they seem to have their own hose-hat built in (hey Tobin... didn't you patent your little thingies?).

However, I've replaced my inflator hose with Miflex... the collar on the Miflex are too fat to fit the DSS hose-hats (that I used on my previous hose). However, their addtl. girth probably makes the hose-hats unnecessary. I'd still like to see the Miflex with the "push-on" functionality.

P.S. I used the SS1 for years (Atomic version of the Air2), and would have absolutely no hesitation about using it on a technical dive (assuming I dove technical). I've had it down to 130ft. with no change in breathability -- functioned as well as my B2 primary. That being said, I switched to a standard octo for reasons other than strict functionality.

P.S. I used the SS1 for years (Atomic version of the Air2), and would have absolutely no hesitation about using it on a technical dive (assuming I dove technical). I've had it down to 130ft. with no change in breathability

Thats funny.

You are saying you would use it on dives that you have no experience of ? Nothing like an informed opinion :D

Works as deep as 130 ? Wow!

Thats funny.

You are saying you would use it on dives that you have no experience of ? Nothing like an informed opinion :D

Works as deep as 130 ? Wow!
That's right... that's exactly what OPINION means...

In fact ANY reg I'd use for a first technical dive, would be the first time using that reg on a technical dive... If you're comfortable with a reg, then you're comfortable with a reg...

With the exception of any contraindication from a manufacturer admonishing going deep with that reg, then what I said still applies: I'd be comfortable using it on a technical dive.

And thanks for the condescending crap... always goes a long way on this board...

Last edited:
I guess that is true, except for me. I have a pony bottle (and usually no buddy) so loosing the ability to breath from the Air 2 isn't much of an issue.

I just wonder if people think the ability to disconnect as much of a "plus". I know lotsa people dislike the Air 2 for a variety of reasons.

I am not sure why you say it is easier to disconnect than any other inflator hose.
To me they are all easy to disconnect and if you are having trouble there is a problem that needs to be solved.

I used to have an Air2 and no longer use it. I found it unsafe for the reason stated above. If the inflator was to stick I have lost my octo and the dive is over. Another problem I found is in practicing the use of the air2 from 60 feed to vent the BC on the way up I had to remove my reg from my mouth, vent, clear the reg and continue. This, in an emergency situation, can ad additional task loading that "could" increase risk. I have since converted to a necklace octo and in practice drills find it the absolute best option for me.

That's right... that's exactly what OPINION means...

In fact ANY reg I'd use for a first technical dive, would be the first time using that reg on a technical dive... If you're comfortable with a reg, then you're comfortable with a reg...

With the exception of any contraindication from a manufacturer admonishing going deep with that reg, then what I said still applies: I'd be comfortable using it on a technical dive.

And thanks for the condescending crap... always goes a long way on this board...

I think what Ian was trying to say is that there is a lot more to choosing/configuring a reg for a technical dive than just breathing it and being comfortable. You have to understand the failure points and failure modes of each piece of equipment and combining your backup w/ the inflator throws a wrench into a lot of the more commonly accepted equip config practices. One example:

- For a stuck inflator, you would typically go head down, kick if you need to, and shut down the right post with your right hand while using the lower dump with your left hand. With an air 2 you either a) have it running off your left post or b) have it running off your right post.
- If a), then you can't shut it down with your right hand and your only real option is to manually disconnect which is more likely to result in an ascent (which could end badly)
- If b) then that means you are also running your backup reg of your right post, which pretty much negates the whole purpose of having redundant regs since both of your second stages are running off the same first stage
- Also, with a), you are running your primary inflation off your right post, which takes away your "third reg". In an OOA, if your back-up fails you can, as a last resort, breath off the inflator

So while you may be comfortable with an Air2, I just don't see them as appropriate for technical diving. Without understainding technical gear configurations and procedures, it would be hard for a recreational diver to opine in regards to its suitability for technical diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom