Power inflator stuck on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what Ian was trying to say is that there is a lot more to choosing/configuring a reg for a technical dive than just breathing it and being comfortable. You have to understand the failure points and failure modes of each piece of equipment and combining your backup w/ the inflator throws a wrench into a lot of the more commonly accepted equip config practices.
Battle, of course I understand this... And, in retrospect, if I was going technical I'm sure I'd switch to a standard octo, for similar logistical reasons that I've already done so...
My contention wasn't about deco diving, rather just an exaggerated example of a comfort level with that form factor.
...the last post was simple knee-jerk...

dumpsterDiver:
I've seen many instances where an inflator is stuck "on" and inflates the BC automatically.

I keep hearing about that problem, but I've never had it happen or seen it happen.

I've seen it happen. A couple of years ago, a friend of mine had a runaway ascent due to a stuck on inflator hose and couldn't dump air fast enough to counteract the inflation, but she was ok. The LDS looked at the BC (a new Genesis Athena) and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then, it happened again, but she was ok. She said she was going to insist it be returned under warranty. However, in the meantime, we were sitting there with her BC attached to her tank and reg on the floor in the hotel room and all of a sudden, the BC started to inflate in front of everyone's eyes - and no one was near it or touching it. It was freaky to watch, especially since I also have a Genesis Athena, but mine has never done that in the 6 1/2 years I've had it, knock on wood.

I think what Ian was trying to say is that there is a lot more to choosing/configuring a reg for a technical dive than just breathing it and being comfortable. You have to understand the failure points and failure modes of each piece of equipment and combining your backup w/ the inflator throws a wrench into a lot of the more commonly accepted equip config practices. One example:

- For a stuck inflator, you would typically go head down, kick if you need to, and shut down the right post with your right hand while using the lower dump with your left hand. With an air 2 you either a) have it running off your left post or b) have it running off your right post.
- If a), then you can't shut it down with your right hand and your only real option is to manually disconnect which is more likely to result in an ascent (which could end badly)
- If b) then that means you are also running your backup reg of your right post, which pretty much negates the whole purpose of having redundant regs since both of your second stages are running off the same first stage
- Also, with a), you are running your primary inflation off your right post, which takes away your "third reg". In an OOA, if your back-up fails you can, as a last resort, breath off the inflator

So while you may be comfortable with an Air2, I just don't see them as appropriate for technical diving. Without understanding technical gear configurations and procedures, it would be hard for a recreational diver to opine in regards to its suitability for technical diving.

Wow that was a lot to consider. I don't dive doubles or a manifold, so that whole discussion was "over my head". However, if you WERE diving a set of doubles with a manifold, AND you WERE diving an AIR 2, then for a free flow or a stuck inflator, wouldn't you just instantly pop the hose off rather than shutting down a post??

Also, if you did disconnect due to stuck inflation, AND you decided to continue the dive AND you had an additional failure that required you to breath from the Air 2, couldn't you just re-connect it and breath from the freeflowing inflator (just like you do with a standard inflator when it is used as "Plan C"?

I keep hearing about that problem, but I've never had it happen or seen it happen..

Seriously? I think that a stuck inflator is probably the second most common (and likely) scuba malfunction (that is after a second stage free flow). I have experienced it atleast once myself and seen it happen to other people maybe 10? times.

Other than a freeflow, a few blown hose, a few mouth pieces that fall off, this is the ONLY scuba failure I've seen.

But then I've never bought the big blue H.

Wow that was a lot to consider. I don't dive doubles or a manifold, so that whole discussion was "over my head". However, if you WERE diving a set of doubles with a manifold, AND you WERE diving an AIR 2, then for a free flow or a stuck inflator, wouldn't you just instantly pop the hose off rather than shutting down a post??

Also, if you did disconnect due to stuck inflation, AND you decided to continue the dive AND you had an additional failure that required you to breath from the Air 2, couldn't you just re-connect it and breath from the freeflowing inflator (just like you do with a standard inflator when it is used as "Plan C"?

Ok, not sure where to start here but heregoes:

- I would not be diving an Air2, so this is purely speculation, but no. You would not just instantly pop it off. If you are at a shallow stop and it goes, if you don't go head down and get control of the situation like I described before you are most likely going to go ascend above the deco ceiling during the process. If you have ninja-like speed then you might be able to catch it but using the procedure I described before you have the benefit of a wide-open dump AND full propulsion to keep you at least level while you shut down. It is much better to go deeper for a few seconds than to go above your ceiling (may need to switch to backgas in the process, but big deal). Then you can disconnect, open the valve and get on w/ your deco.
- In the second scenario, no you wouldn't breathe from the freeflowing inflator. I didn't say that you would ever do that. I said that by running your primary inflation and your back-up reg off the same post, you lose that option. If you are donating in an OOA, your teammate has your primary reg (right post). Typically, your primary inflation is off the right post as well. At this point, your are breathing off your back-up. If your back-up goes for whatever reason and you can't get to your teammate to buddy breathe you can breathe off the inflator. If it is tied to your left post, you can't do this and you are SOL. In all likelihood you are SOL in this situation anyway, but the inflator is there as a last-ditch option.

So back to my original point. The Air2 offers nothing in terms of safety for diving IMO, especially technical diving. Richard Pyle has more experience in his little finger than I do and if he wants to use one then more power to him. But you'll never see one on my rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom