Power Inflator retainer loop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Probably a dumb question. My inflator retainer (the elasticated loop on the left shoulder D-ring that holds the inflator assembly in place) on my MC harness broke. I heated and joined it back together but it seems like a very weak fix. Is there a better fix or a better alternate way to make a replacement? It just seems like a very weak design that’s prone to breaking.

It's just a piece of bungee that's tied in a loop, isn't it?

If it broke, replace it. You should be able to get bungee at a hardware or sporting goods store.

It's not a bad idea to make your inflator retainer a breakaway connection, that way in the event of a stuck inflator you're not restrained to working with the inflator in one spot.

OneBrightGator:
It's not a bad idea to make your inflator retainer a breakaway connection, that way in the event of a stuck inflator you're not restrained to working with the inflator in one spot.
I'm not understanding your scenario...

Remember the somewhat recent accident in Cali with a stuck inflator? Something like that, if your connection is breakaway you have better access to disconnect the LP hose and/or dump gas from your wing.

The LP hose doesn't go in the retainer loop. Either that or the LP hose does and the inflator hose itself does not.

Do you have a link to that accident?

jonnythan:
The LP hose doesn't go in the retainer loop. Either that or the LP hose does and the inflator hose itself does not.

This is a new one to me. What is the idea behind this?

do it easy:
This is a new one to me. What is the idea behind this?
I dunno, I've seen it done both ways. Apparently the DIR thing now is to put just the LP hose through the bungee. I have yet to hear a good reason for it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom